Question How to clear SSDs to install Windows on new system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RealJohnJohnson

Honorable
May 24, 2016
Hello,

I'm building a new system with everything different except my storage. What I'd like to do is create a fresh install of Windows 11 on the new system and clear the drives. My system currently has Windows 10, but I would like to upgrade to Windows 11. Is it necessary to purchase a new copy of Windows? If this is possible, list the required steps.

Thanks!

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
@RealJohnJohnson

It is my understanding that if you have an OEM license on your old Windows 10 machine, you can legally transfer the license to a new Windows 11 machine, provided you stop using the license on the old PC, e.g by switching to Linux.

If however you bought the old machine with Windows 10 preinstalled by a large company, e.g. HP, Lenovo, Huawei, etc., chances are the Windows license is "tied" to that machine and cannot legally be transferred to another machine.

You would still be entitled to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 on the same machine, without typing in the 25-digit key. As soon as you connect to the Internet, Windows will contact the Microsoft server and activate the new installation, provided you haven't made too many hardware changes.

You can usually get away with changing the CPU or GPU and Windows will remain Activated, but if you change the motherboard, Microsoft might deactivate Windows thinking it's a brand new machine. A quick phone call to Microsoft will normally allow you to reactivate Windows after changing the motherboard in an old PC.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I feel sorry for the people whose stolen credit cards were used to purchase Volume License keys for subsequent piecemeal resale, if they failed to get a refund from their credit card company. Any way you look at it, it's a murky business. Over and out.