[SOLVED] How to clone a hard drive and put the cloned drive in a new self built computer.

Jul 23, 2020
I have a desktop computer I built several years ago and now building a new one. My first built is an MSI Military with an AMD processor. My new one I am building is an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max with an AMD Ryzen 3000g CPU. My question is that I want to clone my present hard drive to a Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500 GB NVME which is mounted on an PCIE expansion card; which is in my present desktop. The BIOS on the present MSI Motherboard doesn’t support booting from a PCIE as a boot option. The New Board has a M.2 PCIE slot that supports NVME. I have searched videos and read online articles about how you can move your present DRIVE to a new computer and that you should delete or remove some of the drivers before you do the move, so you don’t have to start out from scratch and reinstall everything again. The question I have is, is there a way that I can clone to the new SSD drive (I know I can do the clone on this computer, but can I do the cloning after deleting some of the drivers) and then install it (New SSD drive) on the new Motherboard and hope that it boots up? If it can be done is there anything else that I would have to do to make the change over work other than having Microsoft change the Activation Code to the new Board?

Solution
You wanting to clone the HDD OS in the old system to a new 970 EVO that will go in the new system?
No.

The new system needs its own clean install, while the drive is in that system.
Moving a clone between systems is no different than moving the original drive.
Highly likely to fail.

USAFRet

Titan
You wanting to clone the HDD OS in the old system to a new 970 EVO that will go in the new system?
No.

The new system needs its own clean install, while the drive is in that system.
Moving a clone between systems is no different than moving the original drive.
Highly likely to fail.

Reactions: jay32267
Solution