Question How to clone bugged Windows user to new Windows install on new HDD ?

Jul 20, 2023
In short: Windows won't show log in screen after bios page. Only a dark screen with cursor for 2 hdds. Looking to copy windows user from either hdd to new window installation hdd to access that user exactly as it is.

I started with a main ssd which was small 250gb. Then i cloned entire windows etc using aeomi to a 4gig wd blue. It was slow so i decided to move all my files from a spare wd black to the hdd wd blue, with plans to clone main ssd to wd black and use that. What happened was that, the wd black had corrupted files or segments so i could move all files. I did a chkdsk repair bad sectors which allowed me to move more files with about 200gig remaining. One of the folders were a windows backup file, so not sure if i overwrote something but basically the wd blue won't open the windows log in page. It just has a black screen after bios window page where you have to press f11 or del with the cursor also showing and moving.

Now the main ssd is doing the same thing after i had both hard drives connected and loaded windows from main ssd. Then I completely formatted the wd black and installed windows because i couldn't even get it to boot from usb to try repairing. It wouldn't go to bios when pressing deleted or f11. Now i have the wd blue connected as a extra hdd and wd black as the main windows harddrive. I'm able to view the files, windows and even the users. Is there any way to copy the use exactly and move it over to this hard drive. The reason is i access an app, that i've lost the device that is needed to access it but without the device i can still view the data so i'm wondering if it would be a possible to copy the whole thing over. I found a program called transwiz but you need to be logged on to the old window in order to transfer it or if any way to check what files are causing this and repair it. Or find new changes and undo them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I also retarted the comp 3x to access the repair menu and it couldn't be repaired.

Edit 2: It's also not recognizing my gpu. I'm going to look more into this as it may be missing installation but device manager didn't show anything. and i think i did a scan or search and it didn't find anything.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
My advice, given the problems you seem to have been having, would be to remove all drives except the one on which you intend to install Windows. Then, clean install Windows onto that drive, selecting a 'custom install' and deleting all partitions on the drive. Then highlight (select) the 'unallocated space' that results and click the Next button. The installer will create all relevant partitions and install Windows.

Once Windows is installed run Windows Update repeatedly (and across reboots) until no more updates are found. Then check in 'View optional updates' for any driver updates and install any that you need. Then test your system thoroughly before connecting any other drives.

When you do decide to reconnect the other drives, connect them one at a time and verify that the system is stable. Then delete any Windows folders on the added drive to avoid any conflicts. Be very sure that the system remains stable as you connect each drive, don't rush this part.