[SOLVED] How to clone disk drive?

Sep 21, 2020
Hi, so i'm very inexperenced when it comes to this stuff & pretty clueless.

Ive recently just got a 1TB Crucial P1 m.2 & would like to migrate my old Samsung 840 Series Pro 512G SSD which has my OS installed.
I'm using a Asus Prime Z370-A Intel Z370 motherboard.

I would like to completely replace my old SSD and use that in another system for work.

I tried myself to use Arconis True Image & clone the entire disk & everything seems fine at first.
I can then boot from the P1 m.2 from the bios but when i get to the desktop, in "This PC" it still shows as Local disk C which was my old Samsung SSD as my main drive with Windows on.
Is that correct as i'm a little confused?

I tried completely disconnecting the older Samsung SSD and booting from the Bios to the P1 but i get this blue screen with the following:
"Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be reached.
Error code: 0xc000000e
You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or usb device), contact your pc administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

Simply plugging my old ssd in fixes the issue.

I read that my old ssd is likely formatted with MBR instead of GPT & this could cause an issue or conflict?

I'm just honestly really confused about the entire situation and if anyone could possibly walk me through the process to get this working i will be more than willing to listen.

Will check back here after work later today, thanks in advance!

Solution
Going from SATA to NVMe is sometimes problematic.
When cloning works, it is great. When it fails...:(

So yes, a clean install is recommended.

USAFRet

Titan
at the end of the clone process, the very first thing you NEED to do is:
Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive
Power up, and allow the system to try to boot form the new one.

Try it again...

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Sep 21, 2020
Hi, so i followed your exact steps with Macrium Reflect & when rebooting i still get this blue screen with the following error:

"Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be reached.
Error code: 0xc000000e
You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or usb device), contact your pc administrator or PC/Device manufacturer."

Would it be easier to just install Windows 10 to my P1 M.2 instead and reinstall all my apps and games? If so how would i go about that?

USAFRet

Titan
Going from SATA to NVMe is sometimes problematic.
When cloning works, it is great. When it fails...:(

So yes, a clean install is recommended.

Solution