how to clone oem win 10 on smaller size ssd

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
hi guys, i have a asus notebook originally preloaded windows 10 and the size of hdd is 500gb. But now i want to replace my hdd with a 120 gb ssd which i already owned. i try to clone my hdd to ssd using acronis true image but i cant select the destination disk. i also try to use my windows recovery drive to install windows on ssd but it says the drive is to small.Any one of you guys can help me please. how do i install my OEM windows on ssd?

Solution

OK...now we're getting somewhere.
Use this: Macrium Reflect

Forget the 'Windows Recovery'. That would require a 500GB target drive.

DasHotShot

Honorable
-----------
[strike]For one, you can't just move an OS from disc to disc like that, it needs to be fully installed from scratch to the SSD.[/strike]

Choose my words poorly...my interpretation was "I can't move my windows from one disc to the other, how can I get around it being OEM so I can reinstall to the SSD", I stand corrected by Skynet
------------
With OEM Windows you will unfortunately have to pay for a new, full license.

There are no legal workarounds for this and the forum rules prohibit discussing illicit methods. My advice is buy a key or go elsewhere for help.

GL

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

i am so sorry. but not only acronis true image, i tried few more software like ontrack easy data recovery, parted magic disk cloning as well as i tried cloning device but the result was same.

Something must be wrong with the way you're doing it.
How exactly are you doing it?
Ontrack easy data recovery? Is it suitable for cloning? Not sure about this one.

Easiest way would be connecting both drives to a desktop computer and cloning partitions over from one disk to another
(use suggested software in this topic).

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

yes, the os installed by outside or the os have license key can clone. i have also done it, but my problem is these OEM OS which come preloaded. Not only for one device i tried for some more laptops and all have the same problem.
and for the partition size i already reduce but still i can't fix it.

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

yes i tried the same way as you suggest. but i haven't tried acronis disk creator so once i will try it. thank a lot dude.

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

it's about 23 gb only on used because there is not any software installed. i just try to clone os only. before cloning a had factory reset my os.

USAFRet

Titan

OK...now we're getting somewhere.
Use this: Macrium Reflect

Forget the 'Windows Recovery'. That would require a 500GB target drive.

Solution

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

thankyou very much. i'll try it.

symon320

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016

thanks a lot its really worked