How to clone partition to SSD?

pkgal123

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
So recently, I created another partition to install Windows 8 (I have another Windows 7 partition right now which I can't delete). However, now I don't really have CD drive so I can't fresh install onto the SSD.

I have two partitions right now, but when I try to clone the drive with Acronis True Image, it clones the whole drive. i don't want it to clone the drive with Windows 7.

5uzf5.png

Seagate_320 has the windows 7, but since it's a primary type, I can't delete it.

TLDR; I can't delete my Primary partition. I want to just clone my Logical partition, but all the programs out there I can find only clones the WHOLE drive. Primary partition is completely useless

yanis31

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
a clone is a clone of the entire hard drive... acronis can increase/decrease the partition size according to the differences between the drives tho...
what you could try is to make a backup and restore it to the new drive, also make sure your sata controller is set to ahci mode in bios or your new windows ssd will bsod during boot...

for less windows interference just create the acronis boot disk - boot into it and there will be all the options you need without launching windows... actually scratch that / you said you don't have a cd drive... im not sure if you will run into this problem at some point... i guess you should be able to do this via windows since acronis still reboots windows and loads its lil software on boot when it needs that...

TRENDING THREADS