Question How to close the gap between IHS and heat sink after deliding.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
I was going to delid my i9 10900k in my Area 51m r2. Then i was i thinking; when you delid since the IHS is now lower then the heat sink potentially might not make contact with the IHS. Can i get any thoughts on this matter? On a desktop you could adjust the height but i can't seem to find any articles on how to close the gap in the Area 51m r2.

I doubt its possible, at least in the same capacity as a desktop setup. Also, when you delid you typically remove the IHS entirely, and place the cooler in direct contact with the die itself.
You would likely end up adding in more TIM (thermal interface material) to bridge the gap, defeating the whole purpose.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
I doubt its possible, at least in the same capacity as a desktop setup. Also, when you delid you typically remove the IHS entirely, and place the cooler in direct contact with the die itself.
You would likely end up adding in more TIM (thermal interface material) to bridge the gap, defeating the whole purpose.
i'm not looking to leave the IHS off...for now.

USAFRet

Titan
LOL. What? I said it has a socket because laptops with inetgrated CPU are "naked" and don't have sockets...correct? I love it when threads derail....

I was going to delid my i9 10900k in my Area 51m r2

The CPU is already "delidded".
So, not quite sure where you're going with this.

Unless you have a pic of this CPU that shows otherwise.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Why this delid?

And just don't say " to reduce temps".
A delid is the final step you should do. What have you done before this?
i have replaced factory stock materials that and have added an extra heat pipe and will soon add three more with careful observation and thinking due to the limited space. After finishing that phase i will think of the delid but not before i figure out the potential gap issue.

i have replaced factory stock materials that and have added an extra heat pipe and will soon add three more with careful observation and thinking due to the limited space. After finishing that phase i will think of the delid but not before i figure out the potential gap issue.
Have you seen any improvement from adding heat pipes? It dosent matter how many you add if the actual heat dissipation is at capacity (heatsink+fan array).
If you arent seeing any improvement from that to begin with chances are a delid (which may not even be possible) wouldnt matter.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Have you seen any improvement from adding heat pipes? It dosent matter how many you add if the actual heat dissipation is at capacity (heatsink+fan array).
If you arent seeing any improvement from that to begin with chances are a delid (which may not even be possible) wouldnt matter.
i added vaccuums on each of the side vents. LOL

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Delidding is a multi step process. Apart from the Tim removal and repaste with liquid metal, there's also cleaning the black adhesive strip from the ihs/pcb. That adhesive also maintains a slight rise in the level of the IHS, so it's removal drops the IHS closer to the die by a couple thousandths of an inch.

The Tim on top of the die isn't all that thick, it's just generally irregular in its thickness which leads to larger differences in temp ranges between the cores.

Delidding drops temps for several reasons, but mostly because of more thermal transfer ability with the liquid metal over Tim, and because of the lowered distance between the die and IHS.

But as advised above, delidding is a last ditch effort, every other avenue of reducing temps should be tried first.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Delidding is a multi step process. Apart from the Tim removal and repaste with liquid metal, there's also cleaning the black adhesive strip from the ihs/pcb. That adhesive also maintains a slight rise in the level of the IHS, so it's removal drops the IHS closer to the die by a couple thousandths of an inch.

The Tim on top of the die isn't all that thick, it's just generally irregular in its thickness which leads to larger differences in temp ranges between the cores.

Delidding drops temps for several reasons, but mostly because of more thermal transfer ability with the liquid metal over Tim, and because of the lowered distance between the die and IHS.

But as advised above, delidding is a last ditch effort, every other avenue of reducing temps should be tried first.
So i guess the only way to find out if the IHS and heat sink make secure enough contact in my case is trial and error.