[SOLVED] How to combine Corsair QL & LL fans?

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
Happy New Year everyone,

It seems I greatly underestimated the complexity of Corsair fan set ups. I have 2 LL120 fans up front in my Corsair 280x case which came with them pre-installed with Lighting Node Pro. I bought an additional 2 QL140 fans for the top. I figured since I have Lightning Node Pro, I wouldn't need to worry.

However, the iCUE lighting control software asks me to specify which type of fan is going into each of the 2 lighting channels (ports) on my lightning node pro. I have two types currently plugged in to Port 1 as you can see below, and only the LL120 fans work. There is no light at all from the QL fans.

As I understand it, the QL fans will have to go into Lighting Node Pro port 2, so that i can control each of the 2 channels in iCUE individually. Is this correct?

If so, how can I avoid buying a Corsair RGB Hub (which I assume functions just as a fan splitter)? I don't want to buy another RGB hub just for connecting 2 fans to the second port of Lightning Node Pro.

I know it is confusing, so here is the setup currently which is not working:

nhV95xw.jpg

Solution
After going through 2 cases of the 280X (my second replacement comes in today at some point), I think I have a fair understanding how it works.

Originally, I used to do what you did until I connected my ML120s to the H100i instead. I had 2x ML120s included with the H100i and 2x included Ll120s connected to the RGB Hub included which is connected to the Lighting Node Pro socket 1.

The work around is in iCUE. I set the type of devices as "RGB strips" and number of devices as "4" in the RGB Hub. You won't be able to control the LL120s inside and outside ring LEDs individually/separately, but will be change the colour. I haven't used the QL so I assume it the same principle.

I haven't tried this since I was annoyed and just connected my...

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
See what you mean in icues. Have give the thought in buying some QL for case but did not consider this. So if put LL on one node and QL on a 2nd node would work right? This create the problem for me too have 6 LL and 3 other rgb on a 2nd node. For me I think to add QL would need to buy a 2nd commander pro ouch! Thing is more I think more I see QL not solve completely thing I wish to address.

Would suggest maybe look on ebays for a 2nd lighting node see many on there all times. It nice to have a 2nd one laying around for just such the issues.

50762824441_a9c42b4f89_m.jpg

Reactions: raphealq
Dec 16, 2020
After going through 2 cases of the 280X (my second replacement comes in today at some point), I think I have a fair understanding how it works.

Originally, I used to do what you did until I connected my ML120s to the H100i instead. I had 2x ML120s included with the H100i and 2x included Ll120s connected to the RGB Hub included which is connected to the Lighting Node Pro socket 1.

The work around is in iCUE. I set the type of devices as "RGB strips" and number of devices as "4" in the RGB Hub. You won't be able to control the LL120s inside and outside ring LEDs individually/separately, but will be change the colour. I haven't used the QL so I assume it the same principle.

I haven't tried this since I was annoyed and just connected my ML120s to the H100i. After setting the device connected to "RGB Strip" and number of devicesto "4", you can choose individual lights - if I remember correctly. See if each individual light corresponds to each bit of the QLs and LLs. If this does work, ignore the next paragraph.

If you want to control everything individually (inside and outside ring of LEDs of the LLs and QLs) you will need a separate RGB Hub (RGB Hub 2) connected to Lighting Node Pro socket 2 with the QL (and LLs in RGB Hub 1, Lighting Node Pro socket 1)

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: Added extra information regarding RGB Strip as a device under iCUE for the RGB Hub

Last edited:
Reactions: raphealq
Solution

raphealq

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013

I haven't tried this since I was annoyed and just connected my ML120s to the H100i. After setting the device connected to "RGB Strip" and number of devicesto "4", you can choose individual lights - if I remember correctly. See if each individual light corresponds to each bit of the QLs and LLs. If this does work, ignore the next paragraph.

If you want to control everything individually (inside and outside ring of LEDs of the LLs and QLs) you will need a separate RGB Hub (RGB Hub 2) connected to Lighting Node Pro socket 2 with the QL (and LLs in RGB Hub 1, Lighting Node Pro socket 1)

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: Added extra information regarding RGB Strip as a device under iCUE for the RGB Hub

Your approach works. Thank you for the detailed answer. Setting as RGB strip activates both fans. What I did however, is I plugged in the fans into RGB hub ports in order (1,2,3,4) as Unolocogringo mentioned, and then told iCUE there are 4 QL fans connected to channel 1. The QL fans work as they should, however. I get inconsistent lighting on the LL fans. For example, I could select the inner ring of one fan and it will select the outer ring of the other. Also, getting iCUE to recognize both LL fans took a few resets of channel settings. I had to tell it Im using 4 QL fans 3 times before the LLs activate. If you are just doing rainbow effects, you will never notice a difference, but if you switch to an effect like ARC, it looks wacky on the LLs.

In short, you can trick iCUE into think all fans of are the same type or that they are RGB strips but to get the full control and functionality of all fans, a second RGB hub going to the Lightning Node's port 2 will be required.