How to completely erase data/information in hard disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclariosa

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
How to completely erase data/information in hard disks?

We are planning to dispose our unused hard disk and just like to make sure that data information are completely destroyed or erased.

Thank you.

Solution
go to 'My Computer', 'right click' on the hard drive you wish to erase, you'll see an option 'Format...'
Format will erase everything on that disk,
However, should someone strangely want to go through length to do so, with the right tools, data can be recovered from a standard 'format' erase.

A free small piece of software called CCleaner has a 'Drive Wiper' in its 'Tools' pane. Under 'Security' it shows 'Simple Overwright (1pass) It is these options which securely erase the data for good, unrecoverable. '1 pass' option is good enough but 3/7/35 pass options are there depending on your paranoia of the lengths people will go to to try retrieving that erased data :p
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

If there are multiple hard disks in...
go to 'My Computer', 'right click' on the hard drive you wish to erase, you'll see an option 'Format...'
Format will erase everything on that disk,
However, should someone strangely want to go through length to do so, with the right tools, data can be recovered from a standard 'format' erase.

A free small piece of software called CCleaner has a 'Drive Wiper' in its 'Tools' pane. Under 'Security' it shows 'Simple Overwright (1pass) It is these options which securely erase the data for good, unrecoverable. '1 pass' option is good enough but 3/7/35 pass options are there depending on your paranoia of the lengths people will go to to try retrieving that erased data :p
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

If there are multiple hard disks in that computer, erase the ones without the OS first of course

Solution
Aug 2, 2019
Late to the party but I thought I would reply - just in case anyone searches the forum.

Just be aware ... i'm sure you know but I'll type it anyway...DO NOT use Clean All on SSD's :eek:

350GB normally takes about an hour depending on your system.

I cleaned a 3TB today) 11HOURS!!! my MSI ran ALL DAY!!( I cleaned a 3TB today) day 11HOURS!!! (or 30mins ago) :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.