How to completely uninstall graphics drivers and install new ones

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
hey guys so im finally upgrading my graphics card to an hd 6870. i have an nvidea bfg gt 210 graphics right now and im wondering what the best way of uninstalling the drivers are without using driver cleaner pro or any other tools like that because i heard that they mess up your registry. thanks in advance

plznote

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yes, there is.
You can use uninstall programs within Windows but it usually leaves traces of the old drivers and they can be conflicting.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Plznote is right.

Guru3d's driversweeper is a great program for getting rid of those little files that hang around after you uninstall. It is incredibly easy to use too.

First of all, uninstall your drivers normally through your control panel add/remove. Right after that, run driversweeper, click nVidia/Analyze and it will probably find a few files still. Delete them and the program will probably ask you to reboot.

Choose yes, then run the AMD catalyst after rebooting. That's as clean as it's gonna get.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I've never tried to use it in safemode (no need tbh), but I doubt it would be an issue. If you are using windows vista or windows 7 it might ask your for administrator rights, just click yes and go.

DreamTheater247

Reputable
May 3, 2015
Does it work for AMD and all of the providers? It just says nvidia not AMD. I am going to install a new GC soon and want to put in a graphics driver on my card right now which is AMD, New one wil be a geforce 960.

SscoootzZ

Reputable
May 23, 2015

Hey DreamTheater247,

1st of all, lemme say that even though I don't listen to DT 24/7, "Awake" is one of the 5 albums I'd pick to stick with me if I were stranded on a deserted island, or what have you. So...as such, I couldn't leave your query hanging here without some kinda say-so.

2nd...I was looking for solutions to a similar issue with my Nvidia card recently and came across this post, also from Tom's Hardware... I'm trying it out right now. Anyway, hope it helps...

SscoootzZ

Please don't use link shorteners - SS

[edit] My mistake for not following forum etiquette and posting rules. It won't happen again. Thank you for the reminder. ~ SscoootzZ