[SOLVED] How to configure 2nd router to extend bandwith?

Jun 9, 2022
I bought a new Prolink router because the old Huawei router's bandwith isn't enough. But after I set it up I get ping spikes and packet losses sometimes (on both routers). I think I set it up the wrong way. I need to know how to do it the right way.
So it has these modes,
  1. Access point
  2. Router
  3. Repeater
  4. Repeater (WISP)
  5. Client
  6. Client (WISP)
{I saw a tutorial saying that the second router's DHCP server should be different from the old one's(192.168.1.1). So I've changed it to 192.168.0.1 . But seems nothing has changed.}
I don't really know about these things I need help.

kanewolf

Titan
I bought a new Prolink router because the old Huawei router's bandwith isn't enough. But after I set it up I get ping spikes and packet losses sometimes (on both routers). I think I set it up the wrong way. I need to know how to do it the right way.
So it has these modes,
  1. Access point
  2. Router
  3. Repeater
  4. Repeater (WISP)
  5. Client
  6. Client (WISP)
{I saw a tutorial saying that the second router's DHCP server should be different from the old one's(192.168.1.1). So I've changed it to 192.168.0.1 . But seems nothing has changed.}
I don't really know about these things I need help.
Which device do you want to be your primary router?

Jun 9, 2022
OK, then the best configuration for the new router is "Access Point" if you can connect it to your primary router with a wired connection. If you have to use a wireless connection, then you would use "Repeater".
So if I were to use one of those options do I have to configure those DHCP settings and stuff?
And btw I'm currently using the "Router" option with a wired connection. What's the difference between "Router" and "Access Point" option?

kanewolf

Titan
So if I were to use one of those options do I have to configure those DHCP settings and stuff?
And btw I'm currently using the "Router" option with a wired connection. What's the difference between "Router" and "Access Point" option?
If you use the access point setting, then you don't have a DHCP server (it is disabled in AP mode). You may have to configure the address of the AP.
In AP mode, you will use the primary router as the DHCP server and all the devices on the AP are in the same subnet as the primary router so all your network devices are visible.

Reactions: Since2022
Jun 9, 2022
If you use the access point setting, then you don't have a DHCP server (it is disabled in AP mode). You may have to configure the address of the AP.
In AP mode, you will use the primary router as the DHCP server and all the devices on the AP are in the same subnet as the primary router so all your network devices are visible.
OK, got it sir. Thank you for your help!