Question How to configure a KVM switch to not resize the desktops when switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2022
I have two PCs, each with dual displayPorts. I need to use a dual displayport KVM switch to switch my two displayport monitors, usb mouse and usb keyboard between the two PCs.
I purchased a dual DP KVM switch which switches between two PCs and it works for the most part, but it seems it doesn't hold the EDID signal when switched away from a PC, and that PC loses the display info. When I switch back to that PC, there are several problems - mostly having to do with application windows being resized, moved, etc.

I've been reading about EDID emulator pass-through devices, which are supposed to keep the PCs happy when you switch the KVM to the other PC, but I can only find them for HDMI, not DP (with a couple exceptions which are very expensive and state that they don't work on KVM switches).

Is there a way I can configure the current setup to work and hold the EDID signal so the PC's desktops are not munged when I switch?

If I have to purchase a KVM which has built-in EDID emulation/holding (whatever it's called), are there any recommendations?

My set up include:
  • PC 1: Dell Laptop with a docking station which provides two DP outputs and USB for keyboard and mouse
  • PC 2: A home-build desktop which provides two DP outputs and USB for keyboard and mouse
  • 2 Dell 1920x1200 DP monitors
  • USB keyboard and mouse
  • CKL dual DP KVM switch for 2 hosts.

Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: prokvm
That is a common behavior and it is a bit better on Windows 11.
Try pressing the Windows Key + m prior to switching and the Windows Key + Shift + m when you return to that Computer.

When you switch the Display Data Channel (DDC) communication is disrupted when the KVM switch is disconnected or switched between computers. In this case a computer reverts back to its basic display configuration.

To hold the signal you try a a DisplayPort EDID emulator. Connect the emulator between the computer and the DisplayPort KVM Switch to maintains the DDC communication to the computer, thus preventing the computer from reverting to a basic display configuration.

Dec 13, 2022
I can't use Windows+m before switching, as my PCs utilize a multi (virtual) desktop switcher application, and I normally have many applications open at a time. When I use Windows+m and the Windows+Shift+m to come back, all the applications are moved to the top virtual desktop - which renders this unusable.

I'm confused by the DisplayPort EDID emulator you're referencing above. It is not a pass-through, but you say "connect it between the computer and the KVM switch". How would that work?

I've found only a couple pass-through DP DTID emulators. They are very expensive and state they will not work with KVM switches.

Dec 13, 2022
I'm really hoping to get some help with this. The machines are my home workstation and my corporate laptop - and I need to switch back and forth all the time - and the corp security folks won't let me RDP into the laptop, so KVM is my only option.

If the only option is to get a KVM which supports EDID emulating/holding, are there any recommendations? I have two PCs, each with 2 DisplayPort outputs. I don't need to switch any audio, just the dual displays, mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.