Question How to configure A Virtual Machine using Putty?

suvo30

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2016
Greeting s everyone. I have started to study again to be recognized in the market and enhance myself in more ways possible. I had applied to a distance learning course called Google IT Support Professional Certificate. Thing is I am doing well in it. Everything they are teaching me in Windows is easier for me because I am self-taught and I have gone to an extensive level of research to learn more about computers and evolve with time. I know about windows I have worked on computing environments such as Windows XP, Windows 7 Windows 8.1 pro for small offices. I got very sick in the final year of college so had to drop off college. I worked for approximately 3.5 years to gain experiences in the market, which I already have experience certificates to prove my point. I have a basic hardware and diploma certificate just basic thing based on windows and some server usages to run an enterprise. I have saved everything I earned and want to get a certificate that would help me advance in life. I am stuck because I had given 1 hour time as an assignment to proceed further in life based on Linux I have to configure a virtual environment using putty. Can anyone please help me on how to configure putty? Any videos relating to this article or any extensive amounts of reading can help me advance in my life and know more. I am here to learn from others thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Putty doesn't need extensive configuration.

Launch PuTTY. Configuration screen will prompt you for basic information.
  • Fill in the Host Name (or IP address) – Machine's name or IP address.
  • Next, specify the port number. This is 22 by default, make sure it's available/open or change your network configuration.
  • Optional: You can give your session a name in “Saved Sessions” field, and click Save for future connections.
Step 3 – Establish connection

• Click on Open button on the PuTTY Configuration screen. If this is the first time you are connecting to this virtual machine, you may be prompted to accept the RSA2 key. Click Yes
  • Login with your root id and password.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
putty is simply the interface that allows you to communicate with the VM. as noted above once you are into the VM, then you are working with the VM's OS and need to know what to do from there to configure whatever it is you need to.

i've used putty to get into a linux VM, routers, switches, and other hardware as well. i think your question is more along the lines of "how do i configure the VM itself once i am inside it?"

so what kind of VM is it and what are you trying to configure once you are there? that's what you need to read up on

Last edited:
There are other alternatives to Putty, BTW.
  • Windows 10 recently comes with its own SSH client. From Command Prompt, just "ssh username@ipaddress";
  • I've found this app much better than Putty. I'm constantly juggling three-five connections (serial, Telnet, ssh), and having single app which an also do sftp and X makes the life much easier.

sounds like you are looking at system admin stuff.
putty will get you a terminal remotely and add some nice things like copy/paste.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bju_FdCo42w&list=PLtK75qxsQaMLZSo7KL-PmiRarU7hrpnwK

After you learn how to configure something I would highly recommend learning how to do the same thing in ansible or similar program. It allows you to configure many hosts at once. download a good text editor that supports syntax highlighting for the file type you are working with. atom supports a lot of things and is made by github where you can store code.

python can take it even further. you can go from filling out a form for a new user and having python update yaml files which ansible can run.