Question How to configure RAID for Intel Rapid Storage

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
I am running Windows 11 with a SATA-connected SSD set up as AHCI.
In the Ai tweaks tab, I enabled "performance" mode.
I have a ASUS PRIME B365M-A Mobo and its got a button on the main BIOS screen to enable Intel RST.
So Intel RST enables RAID, and that causes booting to fail.
I tried installing the Intel RST driver but apparently that's not enough, there must be another change in the BIOS that I need to make, besides just toggling Intel RST to the on position.
Please advise. Any advice is welcome except for, well, "Go and reinstall Windows."

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Do you really need RAID? Why exactly?
I don't really need it. I just wanted to see if I get some marginal benefit from RST.

I have a single SSD SATA drive, which I want to use with Intel RST. My other drive is a HDD for data storage. I don't know which type of RAID is right in this situation, I guess that's really what I am asking here.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am running Windows 11 with a SATA-connected SSD set up as AHCI.
In the Ai tweaks tab, I enabled "performance" mode.
I have a ASUS PRIME B365M-A Mobo and its got a button on the main BIOS screen to enable Intel RST.
So Intel RST enables RAID, and that causes booting to fail.
I tried installing the Intel RST driver but apparently that's not enough, there must be another change in the BIOS that I need to make, besides just toggling Intel RST to the on position.
Please advise. Any advice is welcome except for, well, "Go and reinstall Windows."
You can't use raid with one drive and for your average user raid is worthless.

Edit 1 SSD 1 HDD no raid even if you had a use for it. I guess you actually could but what a mess that would be.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't really need it. I just wanted to see if I get some marginal benefit from RST.

I have a single SSD SATA drive, which I want to use with Intel RST. My other drive is a HDD for data storage. I don't know which type of RAID is right in this situation, I guess that's really what I am asking here.
NO RAID is "right in this situation"

First, RAID of any type requires more than one physical drive.
Second, in general consumer use, RAID is rarely the answer to whatever question was presented.

Turn it OFF.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
You can't use raid with one drive and for your average user raid is worthless.
This computer is a store-built desktop, but we have a ASUS laptop at home that is configured out-of-the-box with Intel RST and RAID. It has a single SSD, but it is the NVMe type. I needed to switch it to AHCI when I wanted to install linux on it.

DSzymborski

Titan
There are situations that call for RAID, generally when data availability is both extremely crucial and also far more important than data integrity. Situations that call for RAID would be the main server of a storefront or for daily use of extremely large files like working professionally with 4K video. And these situations still require separate backup solutions.

For most consumers, it doesn't do anything, and given the complexity and increased ease of data loss, it's usually counter-productive.