How to confirm that graphics card is indeed spoilt?

pcgeek21

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I was playing CS a few weeks ago, when all of a sudden my computer screen turned black. I tried to then do a hard reboot, but there would be this large red line in the middle of the screen, and just refuse to bring me to the windows login page.

So I played around a bit (thank god for extra monitors and cables at home) and I found that when I plug out the gpu and use integrated graphics using the hdmi slot on my mobo, I can boot with no problem. The moment I plug in the gpu is when the comp will not boot.

Problem solved, right? Mostly, but I just want to make sure that it is indeed the gpu that is the problem. I have quite a bad experience with troubleshooting my comp and I want to make sure that the gpu is the problem before i go buy a new one. For instance, could it be another component that is the problem, even though it seems like it may be a gpu issue? Should I try to put the gpu into another pcie slot?

Btw, more telltale signs that it is indeed the gpu is that 1. the fans on the gpu are spinning, but no display, and 2. when I plug in the hdmi cable into the gpu, there is no signal on the screen, the moment I remove the cable from the gpu, the screen turns on and says "please check video cable". I'm thinking this means that there is a signal to the monitor, but because the gpu is spoilt, no video is showing up on the screen.

How can I know for sure 100% that it is the gpu problem before I go buy a new one? Thanks everyone. If it matters, my GPU is a powercolour AX R9 290. The reason I'm pretty sure it is spoiled is because I actually got the GPU second hand, when my first GPU got fried and I went in to diagnose the issue and the manager sold me this, telling me that he could just do a one-for-one swap. Now that I think about it, this may not have been such a good idea.