How to connect 1 SATA, 1 normal HDD's and 1 cd-rom to 680i?

Stilet

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Problem:

Is there enough connectors in the EVGA 680i MB to be able to connect my RAPTOR 150 GB HDD(SATA), MAXTOR 250 GB (Normal HDD without any SATA connector), and a CD-ROM device (without any SATA conenctor). This might be easy solved, allthough I cannot find these ports - could you help me?

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
what the second poster said. But you may have to do something tricky because the ide cable has the two connectors somewhat near, what leads you to have both dvd and hdd almost touching. You might have to fit the ide hdd in one floppy disc bay and the dvd in the first counting from below.

Cerro

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Hmm connecting an optical drive and HD one the same ide cable is not really a great idea - tends to lead to vastly reduced performance. But thats your only option if you stick to the IDE HD. Go SATA? They're pretty cheap right now or (if you can find one) buy a new sata optical drive?

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Is there enough connectors in the EVGA 680i MB to be able to connect my RAPTOR 150 GB HDD(SATA), MAXTOR 250 GB (Normal HDD without any SATA connector), and a CD-ROM device (without any SATA conenctor).
As previously mentioned you would need to connect the PATA (for Parallel ATA) CD-ROM and HDD on the same PATA cable. If you need more info on how to do that just ask.

As another poster mentioned, sometimes there can be performance problems when two PATA devices share the same cable since only one of them can use it at a given time and they need to "take turns". This is most likely to be a problem when one or both of the devices is a DVD burner. Since you are sharing a HDD and a CD-ROM, I don't think you'll notice any performance problems.

I'd suggest hooking them up and seeing how it works for you. If you decide you don't want them both on the same PATA IDE cable then the next two likely alternatives would be (1) picking up an inexpensive PATA controller PCI card or (2) using a PATA to SATA adapter dongle like this one to connect the HDD to one of the SATA ports on your motherboard.

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy dinosaur

4745454b

Titan
Hmm connecting an optical drive and HD one the same ide cable is not really a great idea - tends to lead to vastly reduced performance. But thats your only option if you stick to the IDE HD.

NOT true. Hasn't been true for a very long time. Educate yourself.

The ability of an IDE/ATA channel to operate a master and slave device using different transfer modes is called independent device timing. The hard disk controllers integrated on modern chipsets all pretty much support independent timing, as do modern add-in controllers

4745454b

Titan
This is most likely to be a problem when one or both of the devices is a DVD burner. Since you are sharing a HDD and a CD-ROM, I don't think you'll notice any performance problems.

See above. It doesn't matter on the optical drive, but it would be more common with a CD-rom. There are more CD-Roms that are PIO transfer only, while few if any DVD drives. As long as the drives in question can use DMA, then you won't have any problems. The hdd will run at ATA-100/133, while the opticle drive will use ATA-33.

4745454b

Titan
Finally, the OP....

It will be a problem with that motherboard, but there are ways around it. Placeing the two drives close together will work, as will buying the cable with the connectors farther apart. You could also buy the PCI card. You could also choose to get this motherboard instead. Its a 650i instead of the 680i, but still SLI and namebrand. Yes there are differences between the 680 and 650i, but most aren't worth much concern. (difference between 16X sli and 8X sli isn't much if anything...)

zjohnr

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
NOT true. Hasn't been true for a very long time. Educate yourself.
OK. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. If they've updated the tech then certainly there would be no problems on a 680i board. But, as you said, depending on their age there could also be a problem with one or both of the devices, no?

(FWIW, my system is from a previous geologic era. :oops: I think it does have problems with competition between PATA devices which share the same cable. Yet another reason I really want to upgrade. Soon!)

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy dinosaur

4745454b

Titan
Correct, it used to be a problem. I know I found the date on that article once, and I believe it was around 2000/2001. (probably 2000 bases on the guide2000 part of the link...) That means this hasn't been true for about 7 years. This is a very long time in computer life. I do remember reading them talking about the new 440 chipset from Intel. This ran the P2 chips if I remember correctly. As long as your dealing with a P3 or greater, or a K7, you should be good.