[SOLVED] How to connect 13 RGB fans, RGB Water block and two RGB pumps?

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Hey all,

It has been a while since I built a PC and the RGB side of things is giving me grief. This is purely a question on how to connect the following hardware to their respective RGB connectors.

This is the hardware I am dealing with,
13 x Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB TT Premium Edition 120mm fans
1 x Thermaltake Pacific W5 CPU Water Block (RGB)
2 x Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Plus Addressable RGB

And I plan to connect them with this,
2 x Thermaltake TT Sync SATA Powered 9 Port Addressable LED Controller TT Premium Edition

The Motherboard is this,
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard

And these are the available fan connectors,
CPU_FAN
AIO_FAN
CHA_FAN1
CHA_FAN2
M.2_FAN
WATER_PUMP (Not sure if this is a fan, but it is 4 pin like a fan.)

Going off what I have researched I think I can use 2 x Thermaltake TT LED Controller to handle the 16 RGB leads, but to do that I believe that you need to plug in 6 x PWN cables to the mother which I think need to go to a 4 pin fan connector. So, I don't know what to do? Should I be using a USB fan slitter like this, 4 pin PWM Fan Cable 1 to 3 Ways Splitter? Or will that not be able to power the TT controler?

Just thinking that b/c the controller has a sata power connector, is the 4 pin just for connecting the controller for the software, so a splitter like the one I linked will be OK?

Any help would much appreciated

Solution
You can power upto 16 of those TT controllers from a single header, they are self powered and only need the header for software addressing of the leds, so lighting with those is taken care of easily in daisy chain.

The fans themselves work the same way, they are pwm so rely only on the pwm signal for duty cycle usage, which is not addressable, but universal per header, so plan your splits with care, try to keep groupings per header.

Lutfij

Titan
The motherboard has 2 addressable RGB headers so that should cater to both controllers individually. The fans, you will need a PWM fan hub/splitter like this or something like this but the latter will not have enough ports for your fans.

Please keep in mind that RGB connectors are standalone to the PWM fan connectors.

Ofc all of this can be avoided if you just cropped the number of RGB devices, 13 fans is an absurd number, quite frankly, even for a watercooled setup.

The pump will plug into the WPump header on your motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can power upto 16 of those TT controllers from a single header, they are self powered and only need the header for software addressing of the leds, so lighting with those is taken care of easily in daisy chain.

The fans themselves work the same way, they are pwm so rely only on the pwm signal for duty cycle usage, which is not addressable, but universal per header, so plan your splits with care, try to keep groupings per header.

Solution

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
The motherboard has 2 addressable RGB headers so that should cater to both controllers individually. The fans, you will need a PWM fan hub/splitter like this or something like this but the latter will not have enough ports for your fans.

Please keep in mind that RGB connectors are standalone to the PWM fan connectors.

Ofc all of this can be avoided if you just cropped the number of RGB devices, 13 fans is an absurd number, quite frankly, even for a watercooled setup.

The pump will plug into the WPump header on your motherboard.
Thanks so much for the help.

I am using a Thermaltake Core P7 case and 3 x quad fan radiators (Looks silly without this many rads) , plus and extra single rad with one 120mm fan. So reducing the RGB count really is not an option.

I have to say thanks for the links to the splitters, I could not find anything like that.

Wow, thanks, that is some great advice and info. This literally solves all my concerns. I have an extra TT controller, so I will put the non fan RGB on that and all the fans with Rads on a single CPU_FAN header, that way if temps do come up on the cpu, at least the fan will increase.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Afaik, those TT controllers are for lighting. You can daisy chain them for as many lights as needed. All going back to a single argb header. Not the cpu_fan header. Fans are different, you'll want a couple or several pwm hubs for those which are powered from the psu but receive a signal from a pwm header. You can put upto 10 pwm fans per header, after that the pwm signal is so split up and weak it doesn't work right.

Fans and lights are seperate and different. 2 different circuits.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
13 fans isn't hard. That's just 2x 360mm or a 480/240 combo in push/pull with a single rear exhaust.

Kinda pointless for performance, with today's fans push/pull is down to @ 2°C difference, chump change really, so I'm guessing the Op is after looks for rgb not any purposed cooling gains.

Unless, of course, he's working on outdated assumptions ...