[SOLVED] How to connect 2 wireless routers with XFINITY

Nov 24, 2019
I have XFINITY and using a wireless router but the signal is not strong enough to reach my garage 40 feet away - house has metal roof, garage has a cement tile roof.
XFINITY: Voice and Data Modem
TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM
Current router: Netgear N600 Model: WNDR3700 v3
New router (bought for garage): TP Link Archer AC1200.
I do have the ability to hardwire the house to the garage but don't want to pay Comcast to do that (they get enough $$). I play the drums and would like to do some music chats from out there or play along with YouTube drum covers.
Can someone tell me what my best options are since the Netgear will not give me a good signal in the garage. Maybe I should swap the Archer with the Netgear which might have a stronger signal. I just am not that savvy.
Thanks in advance for your time!

Solution
Your problem is likely the end devices not the router. Most routers put out the legal maximum power even ISP routers. When you go that distance and have metal and cement in the way you are going to have a hard time.

If the garage and house are on the same power meter you could try powerline networks.

It is not real hard to run ethernet cable the way the ISP do it. They just drill though the outside walls of the house and run it on the outside. You just use outdoor cable and its pretty simple just looks bad

Otherwise you are looking at a outdoor point to point system. Something like a pair of ubiquiti nanoac loco devices.
Your problem is likely the end devices not the router. Most routers put out the legal maximum power even ISP routers. When you go that distance and have metal and cement in the way you are going to have a hard time.

If the garage and house are on the same power meter you could try powerline networks.

It is not real hard to run ethernet cable the way the ISP do it. They just drill though the outside walls of the house and run it on the outside. You just use outdoor cable and its pretty simple just looks bad

Otherwise you are looking at a outdoor point to point system. Something like a pair of ubiquiti nanoac loco devices.

Reactions: Drumz
Solution