[SOLVED] How to connect 2015 MacBook Pro to DisplayPort/DVI monitor?

Jun 5, 2020
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and need to connect it to this monitor in order to work from home. It is a Bloomberg monitor with DVI and DisplayPort ports and I will be running Terminal (in case that matters for optimal display quality, etc.). I have a DisplayPort cable which can't plug into my MacBook because my MacBook only has HDMI, thunderbolt (which apparently supports mini DisplayPort) and usb ports. I also have a DMS59/DisplayPort splitter but I don't anticipate running a dual-monitor setup. Lastly, I have some standard HDMI cables lying around that I can use if need be. I know I will need to purchase at least an adapter, but I am wondering what my best option is.

EDIT: Seems like my best option may be a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Solution
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro and need to connect it to this monitor in order to work from home. It is a Bloomberg monitor with DVI and DisplayPort ports and I will be running Terminal (in case that matters for optimal display quality, etc.). I have a DisplayPort cable which can't plug into my MacBook because my MacBook only has HDMI, thunderbolt (which apparently supports mini DisplayPort) and usb ports. I also have a DMS59/DisplayPort splitter but I don't anticipate running a dual-monitor setup. Lastly, I have some standard HDMI cables lying around that I can use if need be. I know I will need to purchase at least an adapter, but I am wondering what my best option is.

EDIT: Seems like my best option may be a DisplayPort to Mini...

EDIT: Seems like my best option may be a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. Can anyone confirm?

Yes Mini Displayport to DisplayPort cable is the best option. The Thunderbolt 2 port outputs Displayport natively. So there is no conversion of any sort. Everything is native. All you are changing in essence is the shape of the cable from one end to another.

Just to add. If this is a 4K monitor. If you did want to use HDMI. You would have to use a pricey active adapter. So, DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort is the way to go in any scenario.

Reactions: Bakestar
Solution