[SOLVED] How to connect a 120+hz monitor to my Dell G5 5587 gaming laptop

Solution
If you're just looking at a fixed refresh rate 144Hz monitor, then HDMI 1.4 will do that at 1080p resolution.

For variable refresh rate. You'd need HDMI 2.0 and an AMD GPU. I'm pretty sure the G5 only comes with Nvidia GPU options (which can only do VRR through display port), so variable refresh rate is out of the picture. You can still buy a FreeSync (or "GSync Compatible") monitor, you just wont be able to use the variable refresh rate feature. It will be fixed at 144Hz.
If you're just looking at a fixed refresh rate 144Hz monitor, then HDMI 1.4 will do that at 1080p resolution.

For variable refresh rate. You'd need HDMI 2.0 and an AMD GPU. I'm pretty sure the G5 only comes with Nvidia GPU options (which can only do VRR through display port), so variable refresh rate is out of the picture. You can still buy a FreeSync (or "GSync Compatible") monitor, you just wont be able to use the variable refresh rate feature. It will be fixed at 144Hz.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 2, 2019

Thanks for your reply, The monitor i'm looking at has hdmi 1.4 and my laptop has hdmi 2.0. Will this work and will I still achieve 144hz?

Why not just swap the panel in the laptop for a 120hz panel? I did that on my Helios 300 (the early version that had quite the poor screen). It took a little research to find a 120hz panel with the eDP 30 pin connection and I had a brighter, faster, more color accurate screen that was a joy to game on.

Plus the installation was pretty easy. Take the bezel off, 4 screws out, lay the screen down to access the back, remove cable, move new screen into place, attach cable, 4 screws in, power on laptop to test, remove factory screen protection, and reinstall bezel. Then get the Custom Resolution Utility from Toasty X to configure the stupid Intel graphics and you are good to go.

I was done in like a half an hour and have been in love with the picture ever since.

Unless you just wanted the bigger screen... because this won't help that.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS