[SOLVED] How to connect a dual molex to 8 pin cpu power adapter?

Sep 11, 2020
So i recently bought a new pc case which is the Fantech cg72 and decided to keep using my old generic psu which has 1x24 pin atx cable, 1x8 pin EPS cable for cpu, 2* sata and molex cable.
Situation is the 8 pin cable connected to CPU Power 1 is a little bit short so i bought this dual molex with 3 pins each to 8 pin cable adapter but i don’t know if it will work, not even know if i have to connect that 2 dual molex from the PSU and connect to the motherboard or just one end of that molex from the psu and 8 pin to the cpu. I need some advised here.
I have a fortress generic psu 700 watts
Ryzen 3 2200 g
No discrete graphics card
2*8 Gb crucial ballistix 2666MHz
A320m pro vh plus mobo
have 5 pcs 12v 120mm fan
Here is the link of that dual molex to 8 pin adapter:
https://shopee.ph/Molex-to-ATX-12V-...ZKuleCRvVk2GVel8CSS7JiyHgrf92wMRoCMXQQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Solution
will there be a chance that i can use that adapter? if there is do i need to plug that 2 molex or just one end?

There's always a chance..... Equally, there's a chance of smoke.

I'm at a loss why you're looking to Molex adapters at all though... While I HIGHLY recommend you don't use this PSU, EPS extensions exist to address short cables?

Lutfij

Titan
The sticker says it's a 700W PSU but in reality it can output a max of 200W, I'd highly recommend that you ditch the connector and invest in a reliable PSU for whatever component you're planning to drop into the system. FYI, thumb rule is that if your current PSU acks the necessary connector for your system, it shouldn't be inside your system.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
if your current PSU acks the necessary connector for your system, it shouldn't be inside your system.

Agreed.

OP, you don't need any adapters/extensions etc, you need a new (good quality) PSU.

EDIT.
I assume your PSU is something like this?
fortress_700w_psu_st3cmsf_1512222270_0e824244.jpg

Ouch!

26A on the 12V (allegedly) = 312W.... maybe, on a good day, downhill.
Definitely not 700W !!!

Reactions: Nathan8604
Sep 11, 2020
that is exactly what i have, thank you for your quick response there appreciate that., that psu has an 8pin cpu cable by default and i am replacing my case with a bit bigger and it has a separate power supply compartment at the bottom so that 8 pin cable now is a bit short , that is why i’m looking for an extender and i found that molex to 8 pin adapter, will there be a chance that i can use that adapter? if there is do i need to plug that 2 molex or just one end?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
will there be a chance that i can use that adapter? if there is do i need to plug that 2 molex or just one end?

There's always a chance..... Equally, there's a chance of smoke.

I'm at a loss why you're looking to Molex adapters at all though... While I HIGHLY recommend you don't use this PSU, EPS extensions exist to address short cables?

Reactions: Nathan8604
Solution
Sep 11, 2020
well i am just trying to save a few bucks here really, and it seems like getting that adapter cable will cost me more money eventually. I truly appreciate your answers there, i think im gonna start looking for a quality psu.

BTW with my specs mention above would a 500 watts tru rated psu sufficient?