Question How to connect a light switch to Power Button.

Sep 19, 2019
Hey everyone!

I need help with a project here.

My friend and I dissassembled a laptop and we're reassembling it inside a cardboard box and we want to power up the system through a Light switch. Because why not.

The thing is we don't know how to make it work. We used a multimeter to see wich pins in the ribbon cable have a current but we're afraid to connect the cables and mess everything up.

This is the power button board.

Can anybody help?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"Because why not. "

a light switch is not momentary. pretty much all PC switches are momentary. that board has more than a simple momentary switch on it. I'd wager it does more than a switch does.
to use a light switch in a regular PC you would need to quickly cycle the switch. on then off again quickly.
leaving the switch in the on position would replicate holding down the power button and would force the system to reboot.

that's why not off the top of my head.

I like the idea. maybe keep the switch board intact and add the switch to the power cable. flip the switch then you can turn it on via the board. not as cool but it will have the visual aesthetic I think you were looking for.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
You could use the switch as a safeswitch,
like, having to switch the switch before you can press the start button

Tho, I think a switch like this looks better/cooler, and is easier to install in your case:
toggle_switch_pilot_pc_case_mod_compact_carbon_fiber.jpg

Sep 19, 2019
"Because why not. "

a light switch is not momentary. pretty much all PC switches are momentary. that board has more than a simple momentary switch on it. I'd wager it does more than a switch does.
to use a light switch in a regular PC you would need to quickly cycle the switch. on then off again quickly.
leaving the switch in the on position would replicate holding down the power button and would force the system to reboot.

that's why not off the top of my head.

I like the idea. maybe keep the switch board intact and add the switch to the power cable. flip the switch then you can turn it on via the board. not as cool but it will have the visual aesthetic I think you were looking for.
Thanks for the info.

My friend got us a momentary switch so now we're using that one. My question now is how do we connect that switch to the power botton?

Sorry I'm kind of a noob in this area. I'm more of an IT :D