Question how to connect a PC and a network printer using the same Ethernet cable?

Nov 30, 2022
How should I connect a network printer and a PC on the same Ethernet cable? Should I use a switch or a hub? Though the printer is used frequently, the jobs are 1-4 pages in length. When the printer is downloading data, will it interfere with the PC's access to the internet? Can I reserve a certain bandwidth for the PC?

If none of this will work, is there a device that will access the Wi-Fi while allowing the printer to think it's connected to an Ethernet cable? It's not a wireless printer. It's a commercial grade All in One, the Kyocera M3655idn.

Thanks,

USAFRet

Titan
How should I connect a network printer and a PC on the same Ethernet cable? Should I use a switch or a hub? Though the printer is used frequently, the jobs are 1-4 pages in length. When the printer is downloading data, will it interfere with the PC's access to the internet? Can I reserve a certain bandwidth for the PC?

If none of this will work, is there a device that will access the Wi-Fi while allowing the printer to think it's connected to an Ethernet cable? It's not a wireless printer. It's a commercial grade All in One, the Kyocera M3655idn.

Thanks,
Is the PC connected to a router?
If so, connect the printer to that same router.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are talking about a situation in which the router is distant and you only have one internet cable/connection available in the room, then a switch should work just fine.

In essence the printer won't be taking a notable amount of bandwidth from the PC even when being used. The files being sent, even for large print jobs aren't typically very big file size, and will spool to the printer pretty quickly.

Reactions: hot_cocoa
Nov 30, 2022
Yes, @punkncat, this is pretty close to my situation. And you've answered my situation perfectly.
(we only have one cable for both devices)

Thanks to all respondents.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, @punkncat, this is pretty close to my situation. And you've answered my situation perfectly.
(we only have one cable for both devices)

Thanks to all respondents.

The home office has (3) PC, (2) being used at any one time, and a network printer running off one CAT5 and a switch. Everything runs fine and can even remote connect to other PC in the house as a whole without having a notable drop in performance. The "main gaming" PC that is in that room is barely being used alongside the (2) others and printer.

Even for the similarly spec'ed PC connected directly to our router I don't see a significant speed difference over the internet as measured by various "speed test" sites.