Question How to connect a printer to the Gigasphere gs4220es using commandIQ

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
[Moderator note: problem has reoccured. Reset to "Question" 1/14/2024.]

I used the "i" button on the printer to get the WPS code but I don't see how to get the CommandIQ app to give me a screen to
input it.

Ahhhhh The printer does not have to register with Command IQ. It just sets up as a new printer.!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
Yes it is solved. I think this router is the best . It uses the commandIQ app to allow only selected devices to join the network. A hacker can't even get access so they have no chance of getting in.

Gigasphere gs4220es​

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
Well, it doesn't connect anymore. It's a Canon TS3522.
It has a WPS button a WPS pin code, but the router didn't ask for it.

Now I'm back to trying to connect again.
The printer has a wireless button, so I tried that but no luck yet!!

The router is a Gigasphere GS4220E (not ES)

Any use of WPS should be immediately suspended and WPS disabled on the router. WPS is NOT secure in any way. Assign a fixed IP address to the printer and place that address outside the DHCP range on the router, or use a DHCP reservation to assign a fixed address to the printers MAC address and continue to use DHCP on the printer.

Reactions: Ralston18

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
The printer was replaced under warranty but I don't think the problem was in the printer.
Tech support from Canon helped me get it to print again. We had to use the WPS to get it working.

What happens when WPS is used? Does it leave an opening to the network after it is used to install.

I sometimes have to restart the Android phone to get it to print from the phone.

WPS pretty much will give a hacker your wifi password no matter how complex you make it.

WPS was found to be crackable years ago and now even a very simple cell phone can crack it in seconds.

WPS is a tool for lazy people mostly who can't be bothered to type in a complex password. It has now evolved so that end devices...like say a light bulb.. have no other way to put a password in.

They should have removed the WPS from all wifi router but the manufactures of smart/stupid devices applied a lot of pressure so they didn't have to spend more money to make their devices more secure.

What will be interest to see is what happens now as the new wifi encryption standard called WPA3 is more commonly used. You can not use WPS with WPA3. Many people run it as WPA2/WPA3 mode since WPA2 has the support for WPS. But why even bother with WPA3 if you allow WPA2.

In the end WPS is not actually a huge security issue. Someone would have to park in front of you house where they can get your wifi signals. Mostly it is the neighbor kids that would hack in so the can bypass their parents restrictions on their home router.

In most routers you can disable the WPS feature. You would only have to turn it back on if the remote device lost the password and then turn it back off again.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
I have the Gigasphere router. It uses the Command IQ app. It shows all of the "things" connected to the router and is able to turn internet access on or off for each
independently. I don't see the printer in the list of "things" connected to the router.
I had to use WPS to connect a Canon printer to the router using WPS. The Canon tech worked with me
to get it to connect but that was the only way to do it. The printer was previously able to connect to the router by using the pass
word for the router. That somehow stopped working so they replaced the printer twice and we used WPS.
Will WPS allow someone to get into the router and not be controlled by the Command IQ app?

If you leave the WPS turned on in your router it can be hacked. It is a fundamental design flaw that can't really be fixed. You want the feature always turned off unless you going to connect some device. You would turn it on connect the device and then disable the feature again.

Again the problem is so bad this feature should have been removed from all routers.

travistee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2016
I looked into this some more. It can be hacked if it uses a WPS pin. The gigasphere router has a wps button to hack so I don't think it will
be that easy.

Im still having problems with tge canon printer ts3522.
I have to restart the phone to get it to print.

Do you think it could be a problem n\in their app?

It all depends on if they follow the standard for WPS or they cheated with another hack. The button does not enable/disable the usage of WPS via pin. The button in some ways is worse when you push the button it will accept any other device in range that also is looking for a pairing with no pin involved. If someone would sit and wait for you to push the button they could connect immediately without any kind of hacking or cracking of pins.

The default configuration, that follows the broken standard, the pin is enabled all the time even when you do not push the external button. That is one of the main flaws in the WPS implementation. In addition to that you can't change the WPS pin and it is a simple easily cracked numeric.

If the router would completely disable the WPS feature until you pushed the button that would be more secure but that would be a proprietary implementation of WPS.