Question How to connect a Xbox and PC to one monitor while being able to listen to both?

Jun 10, 2022
I recently bought a monitor for my Xbox and PC. I was thinking of connecting both of them to the same monitor to be able to quickly switch from PC to Xbox if wanted, but I came across a problem. Every time I switched HDMI channel; it would then mute the other channel that's not being used even if I know something is happening on said channel. So, I'm just wondering if there's a way to be able to listen to both of them even if I'm only actively using one of the HDMI channels? This would be hugely helpful as I like to listen to podcasts/YouTube videos while gaming on my Xbox. Thanks.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Not that I’m aware of. You’ll need a device that will route hdmi through it and mix audio signals together, it surely is possible but I don’t know of such a device from my head. As a alternative you could just use 2 different set of speakers, or 1 set of speakers and 1 set of headphones. That’s why I’m a Pc gamer, no such problems….

Jun 10, 2022
Not that I’m aware of. You’ll need a device that will route hdmi through it and mix audio signals together, it surely is possible but I don’t know of such a device from my head. As a alternative you could just use 2 different set of speakers, or 1 set of speakers and 1 set of headphones. That’s why I’m a Pc gamer, no such problems….
I was thinking of using one speaker for my Xbox but I cant due to the Xbox just not wanting to play any sound out of it when connected to the monitor

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I was thinking of using one speaker for my Xbox but I cant due to the Xbox just not wanting to play any sound out of it when connected to the monitor
It’s a very complicated solution to a simple problem, but you could buy a AV receiver, that would solve that. And PC sound would not go through HDMI instead analog cinch out or optical so it’s not dependable on that, as the AV receiver will again, not mix the signals, it will output audio and video for one selected signal eg Xbox or PC, and if audio from pc isn’t coming through hdmi you can play it all the time, without any concerns. AV receiver is one solution, but also a audio dac such as this: https://en.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g6

edit: in fact you only need to play sound for the pc through a different source than HDMI and your problem is solved. Console can still go through HDMI, so there’s no other device needed than maybe extra speakers for the PC.

Last edited: