How to connect/activate my GPU?

Otaku_96

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Apologizing in advance for the "noobie" question.

So, I recently got a new PC with Sapphire Nitro R9 390 GPU. However, since I didn't have a DVI cable, I had to use my Integrated Graphics card.
So, today I finally bought a DVI cable, connected it to my monitor and my GPU, but it didn't do anything. The monitor only showed a black screen.
After a bit of troubleshooting, I've come to the conclusion that the GPU has to be activated somehow. I've installed GPU drivers and I have the RADEON settings installed as well. What do I have to do in order to properly use the dedicated GPU?

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Activate? What? No, it is fairly simple to set up a gpu. So first plug the gpu into the motherboard, then plug in the power supply cables for the gpu into the gpu, then plug the DVI cable into the gpu and then the other end into the monitor's DVI port, not the motherboard's DVI port, and then install drivers. Also, make sure when putting the gpu into the motherboard pci port that it is firmly seated and you should hear a click or the retention should be up and not down. There are you tube videos that can show you how to put the gpu into the motherboard.

Otaku_96

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

The GPU is already put in the motherboard. It should work fine, the cable and the monitor do not detect it though.

Otaku_96

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (Radeon Vega Graphics)
GPU: RADEON Sapphire Nitro R9 390
RAM: 8 GB
Hard Drive: SSD 1 TB

I don't know what's the PCIE power of the GPU though, nor my PSU.

Otaku_96

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

Yes, that's the one I have.

rgd1101

Don't

and you have both power plug in from the psu?

and the make and model of the psu?

Otaku_96

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

I'm almost positive that both are plugged in.
As I said, I'm not sure what the model is, nor the make of it. I'm unable to open up my PC and check it, but even if I did, I doubt I'd understand anyways.

Otaku_96

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Okay, I just called the guy that put my PC together and described the problem. He told me he'll come to take a look at it as soon as he can. He sais over the phone that he has no idea what the problem is, but will come check it out.
I will put the issue and how he fixed it as a reply when the issue is solved. Thank you guys for the answers and sorry for being unable to properly and throughly explain my problem.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015

This.
You need to configure the BIOS to use the addin card instead of the integrated graphics.