[SOLVED] How to connect ARGB Fans that came with the MSI case

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Last weekend I bought the MSI MAG Vampiric R100 case which came with a built-in light controller and two 120MM fans ( one with LEDs the other one without LEDs).

I connected the SATA power cable that came with the light controller to the power supply.
Then I connected together the 2 connectors bellow. One coming from the light controller and the other one coming from the LED fan.
The LEDs of the fan did turn on but the fan did not spin.
ARGB-3-pin.jpg

However both fans came with a 3pin connector shown below; which I'm not sure where to connect them to.

So can I connect the fans directly to the power supply using a molex to 3pin fan adapter in order to get the fans spinning?
If not, where should I connect the 3-pin connector, so that I get the fans spinning?

Sorry for the post but I found the user manual that came with the case confusing :/

Hardware
- MSI MAG Vampiric R100
  • Asus Crosshair V Formula-z
  • Crossair CS650M power supply
  • Both fans are 12v DC 0.2A

Solution
Agreed. More details.

You SHOULD connect those fan's cables to mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers. Those headers will have FOUR pins, but the fan connector will fit on only one way because of the ridges down one side that fit around a tongue sticking up beside the headers. It just will not use Pin #4.

Further, that is an older-type fan type called Voltage Controlled. The way the header can control its speed is different from the method used for the new 4-pin PWM fan style. However, almost all mobo fan headers now have an option in their configuration settings in BIOS Setup to adjust for this requirement. This option must be set individualy for EACH fan header you use. There will be an option for the fan MODE, with choices of Voltage...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agreed. More details.

You SHOULD connect those fan's cables to mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers. Those headers will have FOUR pins, but the fan connector will fit on only one way because of the ridges down one side that fit around a tongue sticking up beside the headers. It just will not use Pin #4.

Further, that is an older-type fan type called Voltage Controlled. The way the header can control its speed is different from the method used for the new 4-pin PWM fan style. However, almost all mobo fan headers now have an option in their configuration settings in BIOS Setup to adjust for this requirement. This option must be set individualy for EACH fan header you use. There will be an option for the fan MODE, with choices of Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode), PWM Mode, and possibly Auto. Set your fan headers to use VOLTAGE or DC, and their speeds will be controlled properly.

Solution