[SOLVED] How to connect case fans?

Guitto

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015
This is quite a noob question but I have these 120mm case fans and im not sure how to connect them?..

Do i have to get some kind of cable so it can connect to a cable from the psu or something?

Solution
Look very closely at the connectors on the ends of the fan cables. On all of the MF 120 Halo models they have FOUR holes in them. These can plug into mobo 4-pin fan headers with the label SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN. On the Arctic F12 fans, however, the connector will have THREE holes, right? That type of fan requires a different choice of options in BIOS Setup for your mobo. If you do not have enough mobo headers you can use fan Splitters. If one of those fans (which one?) is connected already directly to an output from the PSU instead of a mobo header, you may need a way to change that.

To be complete in the advice, we need to know how many fans you have of each type. I presume we are talking only about your case ventiation fans, and the CPU...

Furzumz

Reputable
Does the connector on the fan look something like this? Might be 3 holes instead of 4 but should look similar, assuming its just a typical case fan and not one of those fancier ones

If so you can plug it into a fan header on the motherboard. It looks like 3 or 4 metal pins sticking up but make sure it says something like "System fan", "SYS FAN" or "Case fan", it should indicate such near the connector on the motherboard.

If the pins on the motherboard are 4 pins you can still plug a 3 pin fan into them, one of the pins will just be exposed which is fine.

Guitto

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2015
Does the connector on the fan look something like this? Might be 3 holes instead of 4 but should look similar, assuming its just a typical case fan and not one of those fancier ones

If so you can plug it into a fan header on the motherboard. It looks like 3 or 4 metal pins sticking up but make sure it says something like "System fan", "SYS FAN" or "Case fan", it should indicate such near the connector on the motherboard.

If the pins on the motherboard are 4 pins you can still plug a 3 pin fan into them, one of the pins will just be exposed which is fine.
Okay but what if i don't have left of these?

I have this one fan and it's connected by some cable to one of the psu cables
And yes, it does look like that

Furzumz

Reputable
Okay but what if i don't have left of these?

I have this one fan and it's connected by some cable to one of the psu cables
And yes, it does look like that

You mean none left of the motherboard fan headers?

If you're out of those you can check if your power supply has any extra fan connectors. If not you can get something like a fan splitter

Like this if your power supply has male molex connectors

Or you can use one that connects directly into a fan header on the motherboard to get its power like this one. If you do get that one make sure you have at least one 4 pin fan header on the motherboard. Not sure if a 3 pin would fully power it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look very closely at the connectors on the ends of the fan cables. On all of the MF 120 Halo models they have FOUR holes in them. These can plug into mobo 4-pin fan headers with the label SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN. On the Arctic F12 fans, however, the connector will have THREE holes, right? That type of fan requires a different choice of options in BIOS Setup for your mobo. If you do not have enough mobo headers you can use fan Splitters. If one of those fans (which one?) is connected already directly to an output from the PSU instead of a mobo header, you may need a way to change that.

To be complete in the advice, we need to know how many fans you have of each type. I presume we are talking only about your case ventiation fans, and the CPU cooling system is not part of this discussion. THEN we also need to know the maker and exact model number of your mobo so we can look up its details and advise.

Solution