[SOLVED] how to connect EPS (cpu) cables to Asus Maximus xi hero

Mar 9, 2020
so the Asus Maximum XI Hero wifi has an 8 pin (4 + 4) socket and an extra 4 pin socket for its cpu. Do I use a PCI-E to CPU cable or a PCI-E to PSU cable, or is it a complete different cable?

You can use an 8-pin (4+4-pin EPS), and skip the extra 4-pin. The extra 4-pin is just for increased stability with high overclocks and / or PCI-e slot power for multiple GPU setups.

The 8-pin is required, the extra 4-pin is optional.

However, you musn't use the 4-pin socket alone, as it will cause overheating and damage the motherboard.

If you want to use both the 8-pin and the extra 4-pin, you need a PSU with the required 2 x CPU power cables (for example two 4+4 pin cables or 1x8-pin & 1x4+4-pin).

Mar 9, 2020
My box never came with a cpu to cpu cable only pci-e to cpu to plug into the gpu and the pci-e to psu cable doesn’t fit. So do I have to buy a cpu to cpu cable

Mar 9, 2020
So the 2 cables for my gpu I just plug one into the cpu power connector? It goes pci-e into the psu and the then to a 8x4 cpu to motherboard.

So the 2 cables for my gpu I just plug one into the cpu power connector? It goes pci-e into the psu and the then to a 8x4 cpu to motherboard.

NO, forget about the GPU cables, they won't work with your CPU connection.

There are two cables with your PSU for the 12VEPS

Both cables have 8-pins on one end (goes into the PSU), and 4+4-pins on the other end. Use the 4+4-pin cables, and leave 4-pins hanging loose for the 4-pin socket by the CPU.

Then your PSU has come incomplete somehow, is it second hand or brand new?

Both PSUs pictured in this thread, are of your exact PSU model, and it clearly shows two 4+4-pin cables (they are both 8-pins on the PSU end, and 4+4-pin on the CPU end)

EDIT :

Take a clear photo of ALL cables for your PSU and arrange similar ones side by side. Upload the picture and link to it here - I'll try, or someone alse will, and point to the right cables in you picture. Make sure all cables are there, and they are sorted properly

Last edited: