keranene

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Hello,
I just bought ezsx55w Ethernet switch. When I connect the switch to my router and then my computer to the switch I get no connectivity to the internet. When I remove the switch and connect directly I do get an internet connection. What am I doing wrong? The ports I am using is the uplink port on the switch to connect to one of the output ports of the router.

Solution
the bad wiring caused its to run 10mbps because it only uses one pair. Auto-negotiation stuck it at 10mbps due to this, as it could not negotiate faster speeds. I am assuming that the switch had some issues with the auto-negotiation and simply refused to do anything with the improperly wired cable.

That is my best guess at least.

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
"On the EZSX55W, the port next to the "uplink" port cannot be used because this port is "shared" with the uplink port. So you cannot use both ports at the same time. "

Got this from some forum. I have no idea what the uplink port is supposed to do (unless it is like gigabit speed or something). Normally with a switch there is no differentiation between "uplink" and "access" port, unless there is a speed difference in which case the only difference is the speed.

florinlastname

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
If you have an old switch or router, then you should know that they don't know about auto dmx. So you should connect this two devices with a crossover ethernet cable, not with a straight cable.

keranene

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for the help but I found my problem. When I put the ethernet plug on one end of the cable, I had crossed the white/blue and white/green wires. Blame it on being 50. Why I was still able to connect, I'm not sure, but the speed increased from 10 Mbs to 1G directly to my laptop, after I rewired and the switch started to work. I found the problem by taking the switch to the router and using manufactured cables to trouble shoot. So for those having the same problem here is my set up. Belkin F5D8235-4 router to a Linksys EZSX55W switch. The output from the router comes from one of the regular wired ports to the UPLINK port on the switch. The cable configuration is Straight Through T-568B configuration. I hope this helps someone.

thehelo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
the bad wiring caused its to run 10mbps because it only uses one pair. Auto-negotiation stuck it at 10mbps due to this, as it could not negotiate faster speeds. I am assuming that the switch had some issues with the auto-negotiation and simply refused to do anything with the improperly wired cable.

That is my best guess at least.

Solution

keranene

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

I found I had the same problem with another computer that is hard wired directly to the router. Once I put the pairs in the correct configuration, it fixed a bunch of boot up error messages and increased the speed. Thanks for the explanation as to why I was able to connect to the internet at all. I just assumed the speed was slower because of the length of the cable run.