[SOLVED] How to connect HDMI output to VGA input for a projector

Feb 10, 2020
I have a laptop with only HDMI output and a projector with only VGA input. I have bought an active HDMI/VGA converter. Output from projector simply reads Analog RGB Out of Range.
Lenovo laptop, Windows 10, Radeon Vega 8 graphics card, HDMI output.
Benq MP511 projector, VGA input.
Benfei HDMI to VGA, Benfei Gold-Plated HDMI to VGA Adapter (Male to Female) from Amazon

Any ideas please?

Solution
It's quite possible you need to get one that's powered (has a USB pigtail on the HDMI side). Or maybe just a different brand of the unpowered version because several reviews state they couldn't get a signal through it (although from the reviews some were trying to use it as VGA to HDMI).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The MP511 tops out at 800x600, so you're likely dealing with the laptop defaulting to attempting to push it's native (1080p, 720p?) resolution which the projector cannot do anything with.

Under Windows display properties, the secondary display should show up - and you'll need to drop the resolution there, for the projector to be able to 'see' it. Failing that, you might need to drop the resolution of your laptop overall to (max) 800x600, at which point, you should get a display via the projector.

Feb 10, 2020
The MP511 tops out at 800x600, so you're likely dealing with the laptop defaulting to attempting to push it's native (1080p, 720p?) resolution which the projector cannot do anything with.

Under Windows display properties, the secondary display should show up - and you'll need to drop the resolution there, for the projector to be able to 'see' it. Failing that, you might need to drop the resolution of your laptop overall to (max) 800x600, at which point, you should get a display via the projector.
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, both changing just the display 2 (to which the projector is connected) and both 1 & 2, but still getting the display reading Analog RGB Out of Range.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
It's quite possible you need to get one that's powered (has a USB pigtail on the HDMI side). Or maybe just a different brand of the unpowered version because several reviews state they couldn't get a signal through it (although from the reviews some were trying to use it as VGA to HDMI).

Solution

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
Quite frankly, the majority all look exactly the same but branded differently so I imagine they are all manufactured by the same company and then sold for branding by Sellers. I have a couple of Portta branded items from Amazon that have done quite well so you could give them a go.