Question How to connect modem with ethernet?

Oct 2, 2022
I have fiber cable, I currently use the ISP modem/router combo which I am wanting to return to ISP. As of now the internet goes into the combo box via ethernet and the runs to my main cable box via ethernet. I have a modem and a router to replace the combo, the modem is designed to have coax in and then ethernet out. So do I run my internet into my router via ethernet and then to my modem?

Oct 2, 2022
Make and model of the router that's bundled with your ISP and the make and model of the router you want to replace the unit with?
My ISP is TDS and the combo I have from them is the Actiontec T3200, I want to replace it with the Motorola MB7621 modem and the TP-Link AX5400 Tri-Band wifi 6 router. My internet comes in as fiber and there's a box on the wall that has 4 ethernet ports for it to come out of.

You can not use the modem you list that only function on systems that use coax cable.

You say you have a box that has the fiber coming in and that connects to the actiontec device. What port is being used on the actiontec.

If it is plugged into the wan port then you don't need a modem just buy the tplink router and replace it.

That actiontec box is very strange. It can run DSL, or fiber, or run as just a router using ethernet. If it is connected to the phone ports then it is running DSL and you will need a device that has a dsl modem. If the fiber directly connects to the actiontec it is not likely you can replace it.

Reactions: BoringRob
Oct 2, 2022
You can not use the modem you list that only function on systems that use coax cable.

You say you have a box that has the fiber coming in and that connects to the actiontec device. What port is being used on the actiontec.

If it is plugged into the wan port then you don't need a modem just buy the tplink router and replace it.

That actiontec box is very strange. It can run DSL, or fiber, or run as just a router using ethernet. If it is connected to the phone ports then it is running DSL and you will need a device that has a dsl modem. If the fiber directly connects to the actiontec it is not likely you can replace it.
Yes, the fiber comes into the box on the wall and then an ethernet runs from that box to the WAN port on the actiontec.

So in that case, I can replace the actiontec with the router and there's no need for a modem? I mean I guess the box on the wall is a modem since it's fiber in and ethernet out right?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Yes just use any router and connect it to the box on the wall. Unlikely but you may have to tell the ISP you changed the router, then again if you are returning their router they will know.

DO NOT just assume that the ISP will allow you to change the router. Some do, but only with prior notification/request from you, some absolutely will not.... mostly because they will want to continue charging you the monthly rental fee for it :(

just retuning their router will NOT usually be taken as an automatic indication to them that you are replacing it, most will just assume you are cancelling your service, which would be a major PIA for you......

Call them before you do anything, and write down the name & number of the person you speak with, just in case they conveniently "forget" about giving you permission to make the changes !

Reactions: BoringRob
Oct 2, 2022
So the box on the wall is the Optical Network Terminal, when I connect the ethernet from the ONT to the TP Link wireless router and then connect an ethernet from the router to the main TV box (there is 1 main that's wired, and 3 others that are wifi), I have internet and tv on that 1 box, but I can't get the other 3 tv boxes to connect to wifi.

I haven't had a chance to call TDS yet, does anyone know a way to get the tv boxes to connect to wifi?