How to connect my monitors -_-!

failwhale

Reputable
May 28, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to purchase a new monitor 144hz monitor for gaming and have been offered a BenQ XL2411T for a really good deal.

However, I am currently using a QNIX QX2710 (OC'ed to 96hz) which as most people know only support Dual link DVI-D.

My GPU is a Gigabyte GTX 770 which has:

1x Dual link DVI-I
1x Dual link DVI-D
1x DP
1x HDMI (unsure which version?)

I guess I have to keep the QNIX attached to the DVI-D port as that's apparently all I can use (I think you get no picture until after password screen if you attach it to DVI-I?), which means I will only have the DVI-I port available.

My question is, will the BenQ be able to use the full 144hz through DVI-I port?
I think also HDMI supports 120hz if it's v1.4, but I can't seem to find out which version the monitor has -_-! so if it isn't 1.4, and I can't use the DVI-I port for it, it would be a huge let down.

Furthermore, I plan on upgrading my GPU after a short while. I had been waiting for the GTX 980 however, there's talks of the 980TI possibly coming in a few months so will wait for that.
Anyways, with most of the newly released 980's coming out with 3 x DP ports and only one DVI port, how would I connect the monitors if I decided to upgrade my GPU? Would I be forced to go SLI?

Thanks in advance for any advice :3

Solution
I don't remember ever hearing of HDMI supporting anything much higher than 60Hz, but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that DVI-I and DVI-D (both dual link on my 780 Ti) offer 144Hz support for my ASUS VG248QE with no problems. HDMI does not. I am currently using Display Port as it offers the quality of HDMI (if not better) and allows for the full 144Hz.

LiveTrash

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
I don't remember ever hearing of HDMI supporting anything much higher than 60Hz, but I could be wrong. I know for a fact that DVI-I and DVI-D (both dual link on my 780 Ti) offer 144Hz support for my ASUS VG248QE with no problems. HDMI does not. I am currently using Display Port as it offers the quality of HDMI (if not better) and allows for the full 144Hz.

Solution