[SOLVED] How to connect my second monitor?

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
Got myself a second monitor for my setup. This second monitor is mainly going to be used for regular tasks and not for gaming. However, I am not sure how I should connect it. My graphics card is a Gigabyte gtx 1050 oc. It has a DVI-D, HDMI, and DP ports. The HDMI port is currently occupied by my main monitor. My second monitor has a VGA and DVI-D port. It sounds easy to just connect it with a DVI-D cable, however after watching a video about different types of ports apparently DVI-D does not carry video.

What is my best plan of action?

Solution
DVI-D definitely carries video. Did you mean audio or that the DVI-D connection does not carry the VGA analog signal (that is true, by the way)?

Use the DVI connection, rather than the VGA one if the display also has a DVI port..

COLGeek

Cybernaut
DVI-D definitely carries video. Did you mean audio or that the DVI-D connection does not carry the VGA analog signal (that is true, by the way)?

Use the DVI connection, rather than the VGA one if the display also has a DVI port..

Solution

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
DVI-D does carry video, don't know where you got that, used DVI-D for years and still do on the household secondary build. But your best option is displayport IMO.

Edit: well I would go for the DVI-D but basically would look askance at a monitor that only offers DVI-D and VGA. It has seen better days. Greg N

this video is accurate

Last edited:

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017

DVI-D does carry video, don't know where you got that, used DVI-D for years and still do on the household secondary build. But your best option is displayport IMO.

Edit: well I would go for the DVI-D but basically would look askance at a monitor that only offers DVI-D and VGA. It has seen better days. Greg N

Thanks for answering my question. I might just go buy myself a DVI-D cable since my gpu and monitor has a DVI-D port. The video that I watched was on a youtube channel called Techquickie featuring Linus who said one of the drawbacks of DVI is that "nor does it carry audio or data, along with video", so I guess I must have misunderstood him. Good thing I also found out myself after researching some more.