How to connect power supply to graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

AligatoR-13

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hi everyone. I need your help..
I just brought a new graphics card (zotac ge force gtx 260) but it wont function. and the reason is because it needs to be connected to a power supply. and here comes my problem, i dont know how to... i mean i got a cable that connects to the graphics card but the other end of the cable dosent seem to match to any of the remaining cables from the power supply... so if you could tell me if i need to buy anythin else or if i made a mistake or somethin i would be thankful

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Hi.

You have 3 options:

1) Use the PSU PCI-E power cables.
2) Use the adapter cables/s that came with the card. For that to work you connect the cables to the 4 pin Molex cable from the PSU.
3) Use the PCI-E power cable from the PSU and use the adapter PCI-E cable that came with the card for the second cable, witch you need to connect to 2 Molex cables from the PSU if i remember right.
Below is a picture from witch to recognize. You need to connect the PCI-E power cables to the back of the card or on the side of the card. If you do not connect them the card will not work.
(click on the image to zoom)

Also if the PSU can not handle the video card power it might go out in flames and take the hole PC with it. Please give us the model and what brand it is. All details are written on the side of the PSU.

*PSU= power supply.

The white ends should attached to cables that come off the power supply. They may be black or white, but will look like the "molex" connectors in the photo ionut provided.

I rather have a GTS450 over a GTX260..
or a GTX460 if within a lower budget then the high priced cards..

I think the GTX 260 actually outperforms the GTS 450 though. :) At least based on some GTS 450 reviews I saw earlier, that showed it neck and neck with the 5770.

EDIT: This looks like a very cheap power supply. *scared* According to specs available on some UK based sites, it appears it only has 3 (three) molex connectors to begin with. Your video card will need 4 of them to create 2 (two) of the 6-pin PCI-E connectors. That won't leave anything to power hard drives and such.
http://www.swapshop.co.uk/G7_power_extreme_580w_computer_desktop_power_supply/dy/8/997607/details.aspx?CategoryID=39900

You need to buy a new power supply.

Buy a BRAND NAME power supply, and don't skimp on cost. The worst thing you can do is put a cheap power supply in your computer. Good Brands: Corsair, Antec, Seasonic (probably my top three choices at least). Others would be Thermaltake, OCZ, things like that. Get something that's 500w or greater, and make sure it has at least two "6-pin PCI-E" power connectors.

AligatoR-13

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Ok i will buy a new power supply and then i will tell you if it worked thanks for all ur help and special thanks to jerreece :)

AligatoR-13

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Yesterday i brought a new power supply and i also looked if it has 2x 6 pin. before i brought it...

and i tried it at home and its workin perfectly! so thank you for ur help ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS