[SOLVED] How to connect spectrum modem to att wifi router?

Sep 25, 2020
I switched from att dsl internet to spectrum cable internet. I didnt want to pay extra for the wifi modem from spectrum so they sent me a wired modem. I still have my att wifi modem/router. Can I either just use my att wifi modem for my spectrum cable internet service? Or can i connect the spectrum modem to the att wifi modem so i can get wifi?
The spectrum modem is model EN2251. The att wifi modem is 5268AC

Solution
I switched from att dsl internet to spectrum cable internet. I didnt want to pay extra for the wifi modem from spectrum so they sent me a wired modem. I still have my att wifi modem/router. Can I either just use my att wifi modem for my spectrum cable internet service? Or can i connect the spectrum modem to the att wifi modem so i can get wifi?
If your ATT device does not show an ethernet WAN port in the pictures I find. That means it won't work with your cable modem. If $$$ is an issue, then you can get an Asus RT-N56U on E-Bay for less than $20. Those were great routers a few years ago. It will handle your network until you can get more funds.
Maybe, att tends to really be idiots with their equipment. If they did not restrict it in some way it should work.

Many dsl modem/router devices are way to slow to hook to a cable connection. The modem from spectrum is used to support gigabit plans but what you get depends on what you are paying for.

The other issue is many dsl modems do not have ethernet wan ports but this one does. The other good thing is I think the wan and lan ports are all gigabit so I think it will work.

It should be as simple as you hook the spectrum modem to the att router wan port. You hope the att router sees the connection and uses it. Other wise you may have to tell it to use the ethernet instead of dsl.

kanewolf

Titan
If your ATT device does not show an ethernet WAN port in the pictures I find. That means it won't work with your cable modem. If $$$ is an issue, then you can get an Asus RT-N56U on E-Bay for less than $20. Those were great routers a few years ago. It will handle your network until you can get more funds.

Solution
Sep 25, 2020
I connected the spectrum router to the att wifi via an ethernet cable into a red port called “ONT broadband” and the broadband light in front turned green showing there is internet however when i connected via wifi , i got a message on my internet browser saying there is a gateway authentication error. Unless im supposed to plugin the ethernet cable into one of the yellow ports and not the ont port? I thought the 4 yellow ports for ethernet were for a connection out and not in?

That in theory should work. The red port is labeled ethernet on documents from pace who make the device for att. It is fairly common for dsl routers to also have a ethernet wan port.

Att may have had special firmware loaded which changes the function of the ethernet. I don't know how their ONT work. If they force PPPoE or something it may not work.

This is one of those if it uses the factory firmware you can follow the manual from pace. If att did something strange then who know how or if it will work