[SOLVED] How to connect these fans to my mobo?

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Solution
Since you've chosen the ThermalTake 3-fan set you can do what you want easily with the parts supplied.

We'll start with those three front fans. If you check them closely, you will find that each has two places for electrical connections. One is a cable that ends in a common 4-pin female fan connector about ½" wide with two ridges down one side. That is for the MOTOR only. The fan set comes with one 3-output fan Splitter you can use to connect all three fans' motor cables to a single mobo CHA_FAN header. It should be configured on BIOS Setup to use the new PWM Mode of control.

The other item on each fan is a socket, and the set comes with three wire units that have two arms each. These are for the RGB lights in the fan frame. One of...

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
You'll have the appropriate 4 pin connector on your PSU. You can chain the fans together, usually. It looks like you'd need a separate RGB device or control hub to control the lighting.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Well the mobo has this "Adressable RGB" connector and this "RGB LED" connector and I thought I could just use that?

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Hello!
I've already bought this mobo: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/#Specification and I need some fans to connect to it. Still haven't bought, but if I get 3 of the https://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=621 for the front and 2 of the https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/p12-pwm.html for the top, how can I make this to work? Having said I want to control the RGB of the fans in the front through the ASRock Polychrome sync/Razer Chroma.
Thank you all for the help!

Your motherboard seems to have 3 Chasis fan headers. Those Zalman fans take 0.18A each. If these Zalmans are for the front, you can use a splitter cable like these and connect that to 1 fan header. You can buy another splitter like that and connect the arctic fans to another header. This way you can choose different speeds for front fans and top fans. Or if you want all fans to work at same speed, this is another great option, it actually has a sata connection and doesn't take power from the motherboard for running the fans.

For rgb control, I didn't find any information on that Zalman website, whether those fans are of argb or not. The only thing mentioned in LED 5V, but you need to find if those fans really have 3-pin connectors for argb and also whether it supports asrock polychrome sync.
Assuming they are of argb (3-pin 5V), you can use ARGB splitter cable and connect that to ADDR_LED1 header on your motherboard. Sometimes when you buy kit fans like that, they usually include a splitter, so check the box contents before you buy them.

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Your motherboard seems to have 3 Chasis fan headers. Those Zalman fans take 0.18A each. If these Zalmans are for the front, you can use a splitter cable like these and connect that to 1 fan header. You can buy another splitter like that and connect the arctic fans to another header. This way you can choose different speeds for front fans and top fans. Or if you want all fans to work at same speed, this is another great option, it actually has a sata connection and doesn't take power from the motherboard for running the fans.

For rgb control, I didn't find any information on that Zalman website, whether those fans are of argb or not. The only thing mentioned in LED 5V, but you need to find if those fans really have 3-pin connectors for argb and also whether it supports asrock polychrome sync.
Assuming they are of argb (3-pin 5V), you can use ARGB splitter cable and connect that to ADDR_LED1 header on your motherboard. Sometimes when you buy kit fans like that, they usually include a splitter, so check the box contents before you buy them.
Thanks for the reply! I chose different fans for the front though. Here's the manual: https://thermaltake.azureedge.net/p...rmanual/_e3f8a8b253d14b8f9044905458ffb57a.pdf what I dont get is that it shows connecting to the same cable for both power and rgb without any splitters. Check it out and how does this work out?

karthik.gems

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since you've chosen the ThermalTake 3-fan set you can do what you want easily with the parts supplied.

We'll start with those three front fans. If you check them closely, you will find that each has two places for electrical connections. One is a cable that ends in a common 4-pin female fan connector about ½" wide with two ridges down one side. That is for the MOTOR only. The fan set comes with one 3-output fan Splitter you can use to connect all three fans' motor cables to a single mobo CHA_FAN header. It should be configured on BIOS Setup to use the new PWM Mode of control.

The other item on each fan is a socket, and the set comes with three wire units that have two arms each. These are for the RGB lights in the fan frame. One of these arms plugs into a socket on the fan; the other arm's connector is to plug into the signal source for the fan. See item 2 of the installation guide. You are to connect all three fans' RGB lighting cables in a daisy chain - that is, the second fan's input cable plugs into the "common" connector from the first, and similar for the third.The signal input for the FIRST fan can come either from the manual control box supplied, OR from your mobo's ARGB header. You do NOT use both methods. To use the mobo header, choose the correct adapter cable (label E) that fits the header, and plug the FIRST fan's RGB input cable into the other end of that adapter cable. On the mobo, see your manual p. 7 and 8, and look at its bottom edge near the rear. Do NOT use the 4-pin RGB Header No. 23. You need to use the ADDR_LED1 header No. 24 with THREE pins for your ARGB RGB lights.

Lastly, your two Arctic fans for the top have no lights in them; they are plain 4-pin fans. You can plug each into its own mobo fan header, or you can buy a simple 2-output fan SPLITTER (do not need a Hub) to connect both to a single CHA_FAN header.

Solution