[SOLVED] How to connect through coax port

May 10, 2021
Images and links:
View: http://imgur.com/gallery/W2JoqNb

I've recently moved into my girlfriends house and saw that her router was connected through as coax port. (pic #1)
I'm not unfamiliar with networking nor hardware but have never seen a router connected this way, I did a little digging and found out the house was connected to the NBN by HFC hybrid fibre coaxial, I read that this uses your houses existing coax wiring / coax ports as a connection point to the router, please correct me if wrong. It sounded alot like how a powerline adapter works but built into the router.

My question is if this is how HFC works how do I connect my desktop to the coax port in my office? (Pic #2)
I haven't found any sort of adapters that seem to be right besides moca adapters but seeing as the router is already connected through coax what do I use on my end?

Sorry if I'm rambling or if this doesn't really make sense I'm truly at a loss as to how this setup works...

TLDR: how do I connect my desktop ethernet to a coax wall port.

Thank you

Solution
The imgur image doesn't load for me. But the HFC link looks just like how Comcast or other cable providers operate in the USA, or how Virgin Media operates in the UK. Just standard cable internet last miled to your house from fiber to the cabinet.

For using the existing TV coax in your house, just make sure any tv splitters in your house are rated for at least 5-2000mhz range, and install a POE(point of entry) MOCA filter at the input of the first splitter where it enters the house. Then you just buy MOCA adapters and connect one of them to your router.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Images and links:
View: http://imgur.com/gallery/W2JoqNb

I've recently moved into my girlfriends house and saw that her router was connected through as coax port. (pic #1)
I'm not unfamiliar with networking nor hardware but have never seen a router connected this way, I did a little digging and found out the house was connected to the NBN by HFC hybrid fibre coaxial, I read that this uses your houses existing coax wiring / coax ports as a connection point to the router, please correct me if wrong. It sounded alot like how a powerline adapter works but built into the router.

My question is if this is how HFC works how do I connect my desktop to the coax port in my office? (Pic #2)
I haven't found any sort of adapters that seem to be right besides moca adapters but seeing as the router is already connected through coax what do I use on my end?

Sorry if I'm rambling or if this doesn't really make sense I'm truly at a loss as to how this setup works...

TLDR: how do I connect my desktop ethernet to a coax wall port.

Thank you
That’s not possible. You would have to connect your computer to the Ethernet ports on the back of the router. The coaxial wall ports are only for the router or perhaps cable TV.

Not sure your question.

Is there some reason you can not use moca. I do not know that technology so you would need to check if it is compatible with moca.

Moca runs at different frequecies as most things that run on coax. It is designed to function both with Docsis as well as normal and cable tv all on the same cable. It does not run with all stuff though, things like directtv do not work with moca. How exactly you connect them depends a bit on the house but in many cases you just put in splitters and hook them up.

Some of the most popular adapters used by people on this form are from gocoax. You can get gigabit speeds on those

The imgur image doesn't load for me. But the HFC link looks just like how Comcast or other cable providers operate in the USA, or how Virgin Media operates in the UK. Just standard cable internet last miled to your house from fiber to the cabinet.

For using the existing TV coax in your house, just make sure any tv splitters in your house are rated for at least 5-2000mhz range, and install a POE(point of entry) MOCA filter at the input of the first splitter where it enters the house. Then you just buy MOCA adapters and connect one of them to your router.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

This is my thinking as well, but wanted to have the model number of the equipment to confirm.