How to connect to a wireless network via crossover cable????

talkintosh

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Someone PLEASE help me!!!?!

Heres the deal, at home on the first floor I have an existing wireless network using a Netgear ADSL router - DG834G connected directly through NIC to a PC. The network also has two laptops that connect to it throughout the house wirelessly, I have the final computer upstairs and wanted to access the internet via crossover cable from this PC connecting to one of the laptops.

I have proceeded to try this by configuring the TCP/IP settings on both PC and laptop NIC's and have managed to ping each way, however i don't know how to configure this connection so that i am able to have file sharing capabilities and full internet access through this laptop!

If anyone could help me in any way?? namely a step by step tutorial!?!!!!

thanks,
talkintosh.

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
This can be done. All you have to do is this:

1. Right-click the "Wireless Network Connection" icon in the Network Connections window on your laptop.

2. Then select Properties.

3. Click the advanced tab.

4. Select the first check box under "Internet Connection Sharing."

5 De-Select the second one if it is checked.

6. In the "Home Network Connection" drop down menu select "Wireless Network Connection."

That should do it, let me know how it goes.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
ICS might work but it's a clumsy, clunky way of doing what you want. No need to add another layer of routing. You want to bridge the two network interfaces. Remove ALL TCP/IP settings you've for some reason updated. Then go to network places properties where both LAN connections are showing, wireless and wired, highlight them both, and then right click for a menu. On that menu you'll see bridge network, or something to that affect. Click it and follow the prompts.

talkintosh

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Thanks to both of you!!

Ive now got it working, before i posted this topic i had tried both of your methods but not together and without success!

THANKS AGAIN YOU SAVED MY ASS (as i am now able to play counter strike source on my desired PC!!! :lol: )

Big up ya chest!!!

Talkin tosh.