Question how to connect with repeater who lost password on power off?

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I turn the repeater off at night, and it loses password (I know because I connect to it through lan port and cable to fix it). I wish at least to connect to it with my mobile phone, to fix this issue before I reconnect it to the router using wps, because otherwise it won't allow other devices to connect on it as well. Problem is it appears to mobile wifi as wpa2 psk although the password is gone and is open as it appears in its internal settings after power off, so I don't how if possible to connect to it through wifi, because it require an 8 chat password when it actually has none. When the password is set to that of my router, I can connect to its lan by setting an ip and it's separate lan as gateway and dns, then connect to its settings page. The only other thing I can do is connect it to the router like this but it won't allow me to access its settings page... booting up my laptop to fix it is slower and cumbersome because of its short cable. I can only otherwise reset it but there should be a way to let me connect to its settings page at all times even through wifi as after reset

Found a way to try to connect to it with no security, but it doesn't work, whether I set an IP or go DHCP and if I try to connect as usual sais bad password although it has none

Did I buy a bad repeater or all do this? It's the chinese black rectangular one "wireless mini router" with 4 modes of operating

Last edited:

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
No one knows if you bought a bad one, because you have not mentioned make/model of any equipment you use.
It's irrelevant. What's relevant is whether it's supposed to lose password on power off or not. Why doesn't it lose repeater setting as well then? It flashes that setting but not the password? How stupid...

Again the question is other repeaters do that or just this one?

The "model" is very easy to find: https://www.google.com/search?q=wir...ndroid-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I googled some more and apparently after you set up a mini router as a repeater, you can't access its setup page through wifi

So the answer is, idiot "engineers" invented the networking paradigm, and other idiots created this hardware. Problem by design, without solution... proves world academia is garbage

Ralston18

Titan
Make, model, and version information is very important. [Note: @ElectrO_90's question is relevant.]

Your link did not identify the mini router.

End result, for me, was a google list of over 42 million websites using the search criteria "wireless-n mini router"

Knowing the mini-router's make, model, and version can lead to the User Guide, other similar problems, FAQs, and Forums based on the applicable search criteria.

Could be that the "disappearing password" is the result of some firmware glitch or maybe even the wrong firmware being installed.

And, overall, if things have gone that badly astray, the starting option is to manually reset the mini-router to factory settings, get the User Guide/Manual, and try a "do-over".

Not at all uncommon to have to do that.

Re: documentation errors, accidental typos in configuration settings/selection, and end user errors.

And set aside, for the moment, using the mobile phone to configure the mini-router.

Use a PC and be aware of the IP addresses being used on your network.

"When the password is set to that of my router, I can connect to its lan by setting an ip and it's separate lan as gateway and dns, then connect to its settings page. " What IP addresses are you using?

Reactions: ElectrO_90

angry.pidgeon

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Here is the search by EAN. I did not notice any firm or other particularity. It's a commy no name I suppose, or pirate junker manufacture, who knows

https://www.google.com/search?q=508...ndroid-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Only way to set it up after power off, is reset (b/c it mangles not lose the settings), then select repeater through it's wizard, then connect to router, add client by wps, push repeater wps button, and it connects, then I reconnect with it

I never had an extender before so i don't know if this is normal. Certainly can't locate its firmware download, and wouldn't risk losing its barely functioning actual

Mini router factory page is 192.168.1.254

Yea, it's unbranded as I read on EAN product description:

"
EAN: 5081950257725 | Dimensions: 74 x 50 x 37mm | Power Plug: UK PLUG | Transmission Rate: 300Mbps | Wifi Network Range: 10 Meter | Cable: 1 Meter RJ45 | Main Color: Black | Brand: Unbranded / Generic | Type: Extender | Supported Wireless Protocols: Wi-Fi 802.11b - Wi-Fi 802.11g - Wi-Fi 802.11n | Frequency Bands: 2.4GHz

Last edited: