Question How to Control argb fan speed

bruno21nm

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Hi, i recently bought a case, more specifically a KOLINK Observatory lite and it came with four fans and a controller, but the connection to the motherboard is 3 pin, being argb i think. My mobo is an b350 gaming plus from msi and it doesnt have a ARGB connector. How do i control fan speed via software if i cant connect to the mobo, the only way right now is with the remote controller that came included.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your answer is at the end of your post - ONLY way is to use the hand-held manual remote control supplied. Note that the case includes a fan control board (controlled by the remote box) that controls BOTH ARGB lights AND fan speeds. On common fans, those two functions are fed and controlled separately using TWO cables to each fan with "standard" connectors and wiring schemes. IF your fans are made that way, it is possible to NOT use the case's board and connect all your fans' cables to mobo headers. BUT your fans may not be that way - many case makers that include all that stuff have non-standard single cables from each fan with six-pin connectors that cannot be plugged into a mobo header.

Even if you have fans with separate and standard connectors, you still do NOT have a mobo ARGB header to plug into. So your option (other that what you have) would be to buy another third-party ARGB lighting Controller that comes with a software utility to allow keyboard control. Then you also might be considering connecting the fan MOTORS to your mobo fan headers. It's all possible MAYBE, but using what you have is simpler.

bruno21nm

Prominent
Jul 6, 2020
Your answer is at the end of your post - ONLY way is to use the hand-held manual remote control supplied. Note that the case includes a fan control board (controlled by the remote box) that controls BOTH ARGB lights AND fan speeds. On common fans, those two functions are fed and controlled separately using TWO cables to each fan with "standard" connectors and wiring schemes. IF your fans are made that way, it is possible to NOT use the case's board and connect all your fans' cables to mobo headers. BUT your fans may not be that way - many case makers that include all that stuff have non-standard single cables from each fan with six-pin connectors that cannot be plugged into a mobo header.

Even if you have fans with separate and standard connectors, you still do NOT have a mobo ARGB header to plug into. So your option (other that what you have) would be to buy another third-party ARGB lighting Controller that comes with a software utility to allow keyboard control. Then you also might be considering connecting the fan MOTORS to your mobo fan headers. It's all possible MAYBE, but using what you have is simpler.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIAhAC&usg=AOvVaw2EaeFowd8gCE_bRrKw2nFQ , if you check this manual there is a cable to connect to the mobo, 3 pin but my mobo doenst have this connector only has 4 pin, what can i do?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Basically, I repeat my prior post. As I suspected, the fans you have use a non-standard SIX-pin connector on the end of ONE cable per fan. The only way to make any connections from that to any mobo header would be to KNOW the details of all six connector pins, and then make your own adapters to make connections. There are no off-the-shelf adapters for this.

The system includes a Controller box / ARGB Hub, a manual hand-held box, and a couple of cables. The two boxes appear to have controls only for the lights in the fan frames. There is no indication that you can connect to them a fan MOTOR SPEED signal from a mobo fan header. Nor is there any sign that the manual box has controls for fan motor speeds, so they MAY only work at one speed always. All its buttons appear to relate solely to lighting display features.

The cable from the Controller box with two 3-hole connectors on it is ONLY for connecting to a mobo ARGB Header so the mobo can control the LIGHTS. But your mobo does NOT have one of those headers, as you say. The only way you could feed an ARGB control signal to that box using your keyboard, rather than the manual box, would be to buy a third-party ARGB Controller that includes its own maker's software utility for that purpose. Then you could connect the ARGB control signal from that Controller to the cable with 3-hole connectors from your Control Box with this set. Then you use the green button at upper left labelled "MB", I suspect, to tell it to let the external signal (from your third-party Controller) take over lighting control.

Reactions: alexbirdie