Question How to control fan speed?

Aug 13, 2019
Hi

I got myself my first additional fans ever, I mounted them and turned on PC, now they work on 100% all the time

I have ASUS H97 Pro Gamer motherboard

Shouldn't they regulate themselves? Or is there any app that gives me control over them? They are quite damn loud

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi

I got myself my first additional fans ever, I mounted them and turned on PC, now they work on 100% all the time

I have ASUS H97 Pro Gamer motherboard

Shouldn't they regulate themselves? Or is there any app that gives me control over them? They are quite damn loud
Look in the bios, If you use fan splitter cable it might be possible that you can't control them.

Aug 13, 2019
If you have them connected to MB by 4pin header, you should be able to set speed curve in the BIOS and so adjust their speed by temperature inside the case.
I mean I am able to, but all profiles start with them running at about 60% which can't be changed even manually I think, at least I couldn't do it

Aug 13, 2019
since there are 4 pins check in bios if they are set as pwm fans and not dc .
I managed to turn them off by checking this option manually so they are not running when idle, at least 2 of 3 fans, one is working on low speed

The problem is CPU one though, which is set to PWM mode and it seems like that's about what I can do about it, it's running probably full speed

Aug 13, 2019
Okay, I've educated myself a bit, don't ask me why I was so sure that my fans are 4 pin, well, they're not

So, I have 5 3 pin fans, 2 of them are working pretty nicely I think since they are at least listening to me, I found out that I can turn them off until something reaches temperature x, but I don't hear any difference because one connected to CPU_OPT is running at full speed all the time

If what I've read is correct, I can control speed of 3 pin fans unless I connect one to CPU_OPT/FAN, then they have to be 4 pin, and one is not so that's probably my issue

Another issue I have is the fact that I have one fan connected through adapter and I heard that I won't be able to control that one

So, if I understand everything, I have to get 4 pin fan, and throw out the one connected through adapter to get my PC to "pretty quiet" level?

Okay, I've educated myself a bit, don't ask me why I was so sure that my fans are 4 pin, well, they're not

So, I have 5 3 pin fans, 2 of them are working pretty nicely I think since they are at least listening to me, I found out that I can turn them off until something reaches temperature x, but I don't hear any difference because one connected to CPU_OPT is running at full speed all the time

If what I've read is correct, I can control speed of 3 pin fans unless I connect one to CPU_OPT/FAN, then they have to be 4 pin, and one is not so that's probably my issue

Another issue I have is the fact that I have one fan connected through adapter and I heard that I won't be able to control that one

So, if I understand everything, I have to get 4 pin fan, and throw out the one connected through adapter to get my PC to "pretty quiet" level?
Depends on particular MB but most if not all modern MBs have an option to switch fan control mode between PWM and Voltage adjustment mode. If you are using a splitter to connect 2 or more fans to one header, do not mix 3 and 4 pin fans on it.

Aug 13, 2019
Depends on particular MB but most if not all modern MBs have an option to switch fan control mode between PWM and Voltage adjustment mode. If you are using a splitter to connect 2 or more fans to one header, do not mix 3 and 4 pin fans on it.
Mine MB is over 5 years old so I wouldn't consider it modern, but I think I figured this out, it just hurts that I can't have more than 3 fans(apart from 2 CPU ones) that I can control, and there's no point in connecting 4th or even 5th fan because then I'd have airport sounds simulator 24/7

I wonder now, do more modern motherboards get more headers for fans, and mine is only limited to 3 dedicated case fans because it's pretty old?

Mine MB is over 5 years old so I wouldn't consider it modern, but I think I figured this out, it just hurts that I can't have more than 3 fans(apart from 2 CPU ones) that I can control, and there's no point in connecting 4th or even 5th fan because then I'd have airport sounds simulator 24/7

I wonder now, do more modern motherboards get more headers for fans, and mine is only limited to 3 dedicated case fans because it's pretty old?
More expensive and full ATX motherboards have more fan headers, My old Gigabyte 990Fx for instance, has 5 3pin headers, all adjustable. Only CPU_Fan is PWM.
As I said before, you can use fan splitters (up to 3 or more) to go to appropriate headers (3 or 4 pin) but you must not mix 3 and 4 pin or different fans on same header. Most MBs can supply 1 A at each header.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Let's try to reduce the confusion. First, you should understand that there are two fundamentally different fan groups. The FIRST is the fan(s) used to cool the CPU, whether that's just one, or two. All the fans in this group must be connected to the CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT headers, because those two use as their guide a temperature sensor built into the CPU chip. The second group are those used to cool the case interior, and these should all be connected to mobo CHA_FAN headers, of which you have three.

Next, recognize that, in BIOS Setup (see your manual, p. 2-6 to get there, use the F7 key to get to Advanced Mode (p. 2-8), then use F6 to get to Q-Fan Tuning (p. 2-37)) you need to select each of the FIVE fan headers and configure each in turn separately. When you have them all configured, you use the Esc key to get back to Main Menu, then click on Exit on the top menu bar to get to the Exit Menu (p.2-48). There choose the option to Save Changes and Reset.

You have five fans in total, all of the 3-pin design, according to your posts above. IF you have TWO of those on the CPU and the other 3 on case vent, this is easy. However, if only one is for the CPU and you have FOUR for case vent, then there's a slight change to make.

We'll start assuming you have TWO fans cooling your CPU. Those two should be connected to the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers. In BIOS Setup (p. 2-38) configure EACH this way:
CPU Q-Fan Control to DC Mode (suited to 3-pin fans)
CPU Fan Profile to Standard (normal automatic fan speed control)

Then, for the THREE fans used for case ventilation, see p. 2-39. For EACH, set:
Chassis Fan n QFan Control to Enabled
Chassis Fan n QFan Source to MB to use the motherboard temp sensor for guidance
Chassis Fan n QFan Profile to Standard (normal automatic fan speed control)
Allow Fan Stop to Disabled so the fan never stops completely
Note that for these three headers you do NOT have an option to set DC Mode. The CHA_FAN header design actually only operates in the older DC Mode, so that's fine for your fans.

Now, IF you have only ONE fan on the CPU, and FOUR cooling the case generally, then make one small change. Do NOT connect any fan to the CPU_OPT header. Buy a simple SPLITTER like this

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168124..._re=coboc_fan_splitter-_-12-423-160-_-Product

and use it co connect two fans to one of your CHA_FAN headers. The rest is unchanged.

This will ensure that all of your five fans are being controlled properly by DC Mode. The actual CPU cooling fan(s) will be guided by the CPU chips' internal temp sensor, while the case cooling fans will be guided instead by the general-purpose sensor on the mobo. All of them will have their speeds adjusted automatically by the mobo to keep the relevant temperatures under control. FYI, the NORMAL process at start-up is that ALL fans start at max speed to be sure they do start. Then, in a few seconds, the system gets temp readings and slows the fans down to whatever is needed,

Reactions: D34THNOTE