How to control Hardware or external switches

hotrod

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Can anyone point me to devices that can be used to control external
hardware, like low voltage switches and if possible even return a state?
I've heard something about devices called USB widgets that may do this but
haven't been able to find anything in my searches. I'd just like to control
some small switches and such in my shop from the PC. THANKS

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me to devices that can be used to control external
> hardware, like low voltage switches and if possible even return a state?
> I've heard something about devices called USB widgets that may do this but
> haven't been able to find anything in my searches. I'd just like to
control
> some small switches and such in my shop from the PC. THANKS

Usually the first step in finding something like this is to go to Google.
For example, a quick unrefined search for "usb interface relay contact"
turned up 10 pages of results. Of course not all of them are going to be
winners but the first one, http://www.ontrak.net/ADU200.htm , looks to be
spot on for general switch-type device control.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Depends on how you want to do this:
o Over the mains wiring
---- Type "X10" into Google, plenty of offerings from small to large
o Direct relay control via kits/prebuilt
---- 8-channel relay controller and others on the net ~35-50£/$
o More sophisticated I/O boards
---- from hobbyist thro the industrial offerings

I'd take a look through the X10 area even if that's not what you want
to do, just to get an idea of what is possible - both re h/w & s/w.

Check the s/w out carefully - some may be somewhat legacy.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

> Can anyone point me to devices that can be used to control external
> hardware, like low voltage switches and if possible even return a state?
> I've heard something about devices called USB widgets that may do this but
> haven't been able to find anything in my searches. I'd just like to control
> some small switches and such in my shop from the PC. THANKS

Depending on how good you are at electronics...

Cypress do a whole range usb interfacing 8051 based micros.A simple
EZUSB FX2 micro circuit need only contain a 3 resistors, 2 caps and a
crystal. This series offers 3 bytewide ports.

Very nice.

-- Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

Couldn't remember the nae of this one
Forgot to add one:
http://www.newmicros.com/cgi-bin/store/order.cgi?form=prod_detail&part=IsoPod_V2
IsoPodT_V2 is suitable for dedicated control of RC Servo motors, DC motors, BDCM,
stepper motors, solenoids, and other bipolar power outputs, such as general converter
inverter applications, data collection and many networked control applications.

Quite a few other boards at that site too.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homedesigned (More info?)

www.dlpdesign.com
http://www.elexol.com/IO_Modules/ buy from www.saelig.com in the US
http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u12.html
http://www.measurementcomputing.com/usb.html