[SOLVED] how to control my pc from another room

sto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
I'm using NVidia shield tv in my living room and was wondering is there a better solution to my setup.
I have my pc in my room roughly 30+ ft away from me. currently im using a 20ft (2 10 ft cables) usb 3.0 cable and a usb hub with a wireless mouse keyboard and Bluetooth 5.0 dongle .But the signal keeps dropping. I'm using moonlight on the shield tv since I get good fps and no lag. While connecting everything to the shield. I want to be able to control the pc with the wireless mouse and keyboard connected to the pc and not the shield. if I get closer to the usb hub I can control the pc but the means I'm around 10-15 ft away from my chair in the living room where the shield and tv are. Unfortunately moving my pc to the living room is not an option. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please help.

Thank you

Solution
ok just to confirm if i add 20ft signal boosted usb cable to the existing 20ft non boosted usb cable that i already have. then ill have a total of 40ft boosted usb cable connected to my pc?
will that damage the usb port?
i saw some that come with a small power brick for power but those were 50ft long.
i was think ing of getting this one im checking to see if it supports a usb hub

https://www.amazon.com/WDX-SuperSpeed-Extension-Extender-Compatible/dp/B07MZRB6LN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Cable+50+Feet(15+Meter)+Active+USB+3.0+Extension+A-Male+to+A-Female+USB+3.0+Extender+with+AC+Power+Adapter+Compatible+Oculus+Rift,+Xbox,+PS4+and+More,+Black+(Black-50Feet)&qid=1628233843&s=industrial&sr=1-1

No, you either need a single...

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to reduce the length of the USB extension cable and make sure that the dongle/receiver for the wireless peripherals are in line of sight of devices, then perch the dongle above your appliances to avoid interference with said appliances. You might want to introduce a floor plan to help us understand how far you're located from the PC and the display, chances are the best option is to relocate the system. Make and model of your wireless peripherals?

sto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Might want to reduce the length of the USB extension cable and make sure that the dongle/receiver for the wireless peripherals are in line of sight of devices, then perch the dongle above your appliances to avoid interference with said appliances. You might want to introduce a floor plan to help us understand how far you're located from the PC and the display, chances are the best option is to relocate the system. Make and model of your wireless peripherals?

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I'm not able to move the pc or get closed to the usb hub. The mouse and keyboard are off brand 2.4G wireless devices I got the b/c they were silent so they wont be clickety clackety while in use. They work great when in range.
Is there a way to boost the usb signal or run the peripherals through poi (power over internet)?
How would i add an image do i use tiny image link?

Thank you.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
set up a laptop or desktop to where you want to play and log into steam on the main pc first then log into the second one and you should have a option to stream play your game from the main pc

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I'm not able to move the pc or get closed to the usb hub. The mouse and keyboard are off brand 2.4G wireless devices I got the b/c they were silent so they wont be clickety clackety while in use. They work great when in range.
Is there a way to boost the usb signal or run the peripherals through poi (power over internet)?
How would i add an image do i use tiny image link?

Thank you.

Yes there are USB signal boosters and yes there are KVM switches that run off an ethernet connection, but you probably won't like the cost of those. Not sure what you mean by POI, you can't send power over the internet. There is a POE which is power over ethernet but that is for actual power to devices not for connecting things.

sto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
set up a laptop or desktop to where you want to play and log into steam on the main pc first then log into the second one and you should have a option to stream play your game from the main pc
thanks for the suggestion but im afraid that will take to much space and i would have to keep moving the streaming pc so it wont take up space while not in use. i just don't want to always move and setup the streaming pc in the living room every time i want to use it which will be everyday. i want to be able to control and use my gaming pc while mirroring it through the nvidia shield tv.

sto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
Yes there are USB signal boosters and yes there are KVM switches that run off an ethernet connection, but you probably won't like the cost of those. Not sure what you mean by POI, you can't send power over the internet. There is a POE which is power over ethernet but that is for actual power to devices not for connecting things.
Yes i meant POE and was thinking of a way to further push the signal for the usb devices. ill look into some usb signal boosters since ill only be using it for 2 - 2.4G dongles and a Bluetooth dongle. and it'll look neater. do you have any suggestions?
also would i be able to add the usb signal booster to the existing 20 ft of usb cable?

Last edited:
Yes i meant POE and was thinking of a way to further push the signal for the usb devices. ill look into some usb signal boosters since ill only be using it for 2 - 2.4G dongles and a Bluetooth dongle. and it'll look neater. do you have any suggestions?
also would i be able to add the usb signal booster to the existing 20 ft of usb cable?

yes a signal booster would work with a 20ft cable. You probably would need to have a direct connection to the system and whatever you are connecting to the USB cable, not sure how that will work with a hub. Only time I have used the long USB runs is to connect a keyboard , mouse or printer directly to the system, not with a hub at the end.

sto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
yes a signal booster would work with a 20ft cable. You probably would need to have a direct connection to the system and whatever you are connecting to the USB cable, not sure how that will work with a hub. Only time I have used the long USB runs is to connect a keyboard , mouse or printer directly to the system, not with a hub at the end.
ok just to confirm if i add 20ft signal boosted usb cable to the existing 20ft non boosted usb cable that i already have. then ill have a total of 40ft boosted usb cable connected to my pc?
i saw some that come with a small power brick for power but those were 50ft long.

https://www.amazon.com/WDX-SuperSpe...ck-50Feet)&qid=1628233843&s=industrial&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
It is quite easy. Place the computer very close to the door in the other room. Place your keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers very close to the other side of the door. Pull the cables through the door opening.

https://www.amazon.com/WDX-SuperSpeed-Extension-Extender-Compatible/dp/B07MZRB6LN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Cable+50+Feet(15+Meter)+Active+USB+3.0+Extension+A-Male+to+A-Female+USB+3.0+Extender+with+AC+Power+Adapter+Compatible+Oculus+Rift,+Xbox,+PS4+and+More,+Black+(Black-50Feet)&qid=1628233843&s=industrial&sr=1-1

No, you either need a single long usb cable or a short one then add the extension onto that. This one may work also and is cheaper. I don't remember the exact cables we used, but we did expend USB pretty long at a hospital I worked at to run into a room with the computer outside of the room. Anything over 12 eet of standard fUSB cable can have issues, had a lot of printer and scanner issues with people that bought long cables.

Solution

sto

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2014
No, you either need a single long usb cable or a short one then add the extension onto that. This one may work also and is cheaper. I don't remember the exact cables we used, but we did expend USB pretty long at a hospital I worked at to run into a room with the computer outside of the room. Anything over 12 eet of standard fUSB cable can have issues, had a lot of printer and scanner issues with people that bought long cables.
thanks for your help. i bought a 50ft usb 3.0 cable with a repeater and its working flawlessly for what i need. i don't even have to add additional power source. thanks alot.