[SOLVED] How to control win 10 updates

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
It is really painful when the kids started the laptop to join a class and found "windows is updating, please do not turn off your computer". He was late for the class after the update was completed. I remember at win 7 or XP time, there was an option that Windows will tell you that update is available and you can select to start when you want to. I see only the pause update option under Win 10. This still require me to make sure that the end of the pause is not a school day. If the old option is still available, I can ask the kids to do the update at the end of the school day when an update is available. Can anyone share their experience on how to handle this ?

Solution
Every 2nd week of the month is when Updates roll out mostly, and in many cases its a Tuesday, so what I suggest is check for updates on a weeknight and see if its available when you ready to install it, not when it decides to install.

Also, the power options at shutdown still should have an option to just shutdown and leave updating to next time.

And in the advanced area, there is the choice to pause updates for a few days/weeks so you could just do that if there is one that wants to install right now.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
You can set "active times" or somesuch to where the computer won't do updates except between those times. It would require the computer to be on at other times. You can also set updates to delay for a period but then it will be longer to wait when it does.

My own suggestion is to take an hour or so every week to open the computers on power and manually update them at a time that suits, if the above solution isn't workable.

hi, once u open windows update settings, u can notice that there are advanced settings
inside u can select when updates will happen, u can delay them up to 35 days, so set it to weekends

either that or if u have windows 10 pro (not home), there are some hidden other options aswell

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
You can set "active times" or somesuch to where the computer won't do updates except between those times. It would require the computer to be on at other times. You can also set updates to delay for a period but then it will be longer to wait when it does.

My own suggestion is to take an hour or so every week to open the computers on power and manually update them at a time that suits, if the above solution isn't workable.
The kid's computer has "current active hours 8:00 am to 5:00 pm". But it happened this morning at 8:40 when he powered up the PC and got the message "windows updating, please do not power off computer". It finished at 8:50 and he was late for 5 minutes (class started at 8:45). If active hour means no update between 8 am to 5 pm, then it is not working ( a bug). But the setup page says "Set active hours to let us know when you typically use this device. We won't automatically restart your device during this time." This seems to say that it will not restart your computer, but it will still do the update when you power up. Setting up Active hour may not be the solution.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Every 2nd week of the month is when Updates roll out mostly, and in many cases its a Tuesday, so what I suggest is check for updates on a weeknight and see if its available when you ready to install it, not when it decides to install.

Also, the power options at shutdown still should have an option to just shutdown and leave updating to next time.

And in the advanced area, there is the choice to pause updates for a few days/weeks so you could just do that if there is one that wants to install right now.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
it happened this morning at 8:40 when he powered up the PC and got the message "windows updating, please do not power off computer". It finished at 8:50 and he was late for 5 minutes (class started at 8:45). If active hour means no update between 8 am to 5 pm, then it is not working ( a bug).

In order for this to operate properly the computer has to be left on, so far as I am aware.

USAFRet

Titan
It is really painful when the kids started the laptop to join a class and found "windows is updating, please do not turn off your computer". He was late for the class after the update was completed. I remember at win 7 or XP time, there was an option that Windows will tell you that update is available and you can select to start when you want to. I see only the pause update option under Win 10. This still require me to make sure that the end of the pause is not a school day. If the old option is still available, I can ask the kids to do the update at the end of the school day when an update is available. Can anyone share their experience on how to handle this ?
Pause updates for 35 days.
Once a month (A Sunday afternoon), devote one hour to catch up on the the outstanding updates.
Reset the 35 day clock.

But those updates DO need to be done. Especially on a kid system.

In order for this to operate properly the computer has to be left on, so far as I am aware.
if its a PC, it can wake up on its own to do system updates, all PCs have it turned ON in bios and windows settings by default
u can check your bios settings for "wake up by RTC alarm" or "wake up event by OS" , if somebody didnt disable it, it should be enabled by OS in default
so if this setting is enabled, and your updates are scheduled...lets say daily at 3am..then every day at 3am if pc is turned off, sleeping etc, it will wake up at 3am, run updates and then sleep (if u have sleep timer in power management settings)
if its laptop, it probably wont wake up on its own (even if it would want to, due to LID closed)

Last edited:

hw_user

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was looking for the WIN 7 option of doing the updates at the time I want (i.e. when I am on the computer with the time to do the update). But that option is not available. All other suggestion required me to set a particular time and remember it to do the update.
"Every 2nd week of the month is when Updates roll out mostly, " I'll try this and do my home work. Thanks again for all your helps.