Question How to convert 3 sata +1 E-sata into 4 sata drives for raid 10 setup?

Aug 12, 2022
This is my issue?! In a Lenovo thinkcentre m92p SFF has three Sada ports plus 1 e-sata port and what I was trying to do was sacrifice my CD ROM drive for extra Sada port in raid 10 setup, however when I went to go create my drives it told me only recovery drives can be used as external and internal ports so it will not let me set up raid 10, so I guess my question is, is there a way I can convert the essay to Port into a regular SATA port so I can accomplish this without purchasing a pci-e to sata expansion card?

Aug 12, 2022
First off, why this RAID?

What specific drives are involved?
Well I'm new to raid setups and I was reading raid 10 is striped and mirrored, I want a recovery drive and still use all of my drives, as of now when I set up recovery it only let's me use two of the four and won't let me create another volume. My pc only has 3 sata ports with an added e-sata but on the main board says sata 1 2 3 and 4 but where the 4th is also says e-sata but the only setting in bios for that is to enable or disable the e-sata, when I disable e-sata I thought it would use the e-sata as reg sata, which I was mistaken after I purchased the drives lol, I mean I can purchase a pcie to 4 port sata expansion card but if I can figure out how to post a picture of my shell you'll understand why that is not possible now lol, having 4 1tb full sized HDD in a SFF shell was a trick in its own, how do I post a picture of what I got going on to better explain it?

Aug 12, 2022
I have a Seagate 1tb, two western digital 1tb those 3 are full sized, and the 4th drive is a western digital 1tb NASware 3.0 lmfao
However if I create RAID 0 it allows me to use all of my drives which is strange considering that only recovery drives can be used on the eSATA

USAFRet

Titan
The performance of RAID 0 with HDDs is trumped by any SSD, even a SATA III.

The 'redundancy' of the RAID 1 portion is trumped by an actual backup routine.

The only thing you might gain by that RAID 10 is complexity and fail potential.

It sounds like a good idea, to the uninitiated. It is not.

Aug 12, 2022
Dang man, so what about having without raid, multi boot system with clover? But after watching Jeff gearlings videos on raid array setups and how he brags on how much faster they are I've wanted a setup ever since, I just like the idea with gaming performance with recovery backups without having all the bulky external drives ya know

USAFRet

Titan
Dang man, so what about having without raid, multi boot system with clover? But after watching Jeff gearlings videos on raid array setups and how he brags on how much faster they are I've wanted a setup ever since, I just like the idea with gaming performance with recovery backups without having all the bulky external drives ya know
What does multiboot and clover have to do with a RAID?

You need to be really really careful about the dudes on utube.
Many of them talk a lot of junk.

1 or 2 SSDs to host your OS, applications, and most of your games.
HDDs for other stuff and long term storage.

Aug 12, 2022
Dang man doesn't matter how many ways to set this up the e-sata's in the dawn way, only letting me create 1 recovery/master leaving drives 0 and 1 usless, well I guess I can put my cdrom drive back in now gerrrr.. ohh I'm using the windows 10 ghost spectre edition for my windows setup.. would that be the reason it won't let me create 1 raid volume and 1 recovery volume with all four drives?

DSzymborski

Titan
Dang man doesn't matter how many ways to set this up the e-sata's in the dawn way, only letting me create 1 recovery/master leaving drives 0 and 1 usless, well I guess I can put my cdrom drive back in now gerrrr.. ohh I'm using the windows 10 ghost spectre edition for my windows setup.. would that be the reason it won't let me create 1 raid volume and 1 recovery volume with all four drives?

There's really no practical reason for RAID in absolutely anything you've said.

RAID doesn't even have the benefit of getting nerd cred; when I see a needless RAID, it's obvious it's someone with little experience.

Aug 12, 2022
I did say in the beginning of my trend that I have no experience with raid setup and by watching Jeff geerlings videos on gaming performance with them. I am no noob friend I forgot what most learn in a whole lifetime all self taught. I'm doing nothing more than experimenting new options in knowledge

USAFRet

Titan
I did say in the beginning of my trend that I have no experience with raid setup and by watching Jeff geerlings videos on gaming performance with them. I am no noob friend I forgot what most learn in a whole lifetime all self taught. I'm doing nothing more than experimenting new options in knowledge
And of the 3 people who have replied in here, all 3 have said - "Ignore this RAID thing. It does not do what you think it might do, no matter what the dude on utube says."