Question How to convert 3 sata +1 E-sata into 4 sata drives for raid 10 setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 12, 2022
This is my issue?! In a Lenovo thinkcentre m92p SFF has three Sada ports plus 1 e-sata port and what I was trying to do was sacrifice my CD ROM drive for extra Sada port in raid 10 setup, however when I went to go create my drives it told me only recovery drives can be used as external and internal ports so it will not let me set up raid 10, so I guess my question is, is there a way I can convert the essay to Port into a regular SATA port so I can accomplish this without purchasing a pci-e to sata expansion card?

Leaving "RAID or not" dilemma aside: SFF means "Small Form Factor". Check here, Page 89.
https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/thinkcentre_pdf/m82m92p_hmm.pdf
If this is your desktop - you have no space for four 3.5" internal drives. And I doubt your PSU will handle four mechanical HDDs.

As recommended above: Forget RAIDs. Use existing eSATA to connect external hard drive for backups, upgrade OS drive with SSD (you can tape it anywhere), ditch the CD, and put two of HDDs inside. If you want some redundancy - user Windows' built-in "Storage Spaces" feature to make RAID-0 like setup. Make regular image copies of the OS drive.

Aug 12, 2022
My specialty is fixing and debugging other programmers work they cannot figure out themselves, now I realize this isn't practical by any means, I'm trying to make something work that others say is impossible my friend :) for myself I'd have all separate drives multibooted with my own bootloader I designed myself

USAFRet

Titan
My specialty is fixing and debugging other programmers work they cannot figure out themselves, now I realize this isn't practical by any means, I'm trying to make something work that others say is impossible my friend :) for myself I'd have all separate drives multibooted with my own bootloader I designed myself
A RAID 1 or 0 is entirely possible with 3 of those.
Not so sure about the 4th via the eSATA interface.

What we're saying is....those are useless configurations. Not worth wasting time and resources on.

Unsafe, as in the RAID 1 provides false sense of security.
The RAID 0 'performance' is easily trumped by a garden variety level SATA III SSD.

Aug 12, 2022
Now up unto about 5 years ago it was impossible to install a distro on and boot from a micro SD card, the idea of having a multiboot bootloader on a USB with just the .iso's copied and pasted to it was my idea an look at what it's become. But my question in the beginning was and still is... "is it possible for me to program the e-sata port, right next to the other 3 sata ports into a regular sata port? You asked me why would I do such a thing and I told you, I wasn't expecting to get trolled over it I thought it was a legitimate question

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Now up unto about 5 years ago it was impossible to install a distro on and boot from a micro SD card, the idea of having a multiboot bootloader on a USB with just the .iso's copied and pasted to it was my idea an look at what it's become. But my question in the beginning was and still is... "is it possible for me to program the e-sata port, right next to the other 3 sata ports into a regular sata port? You asked me why would I do such a thing and I told you, I wasn't expecting to get trolled over it I thought it was a legitimate question
Your not being trolled, it is a legitimate question. But you don't like the answer your getting.

This is your PC you can do whatever you wish.

3 Drives just set up a raid 5 and enjoy.

Aug 12, 2022
"Is it possible?" depends on the capabilities of the motherboard and its BIOS in that Lenovo SFF.
So far, it seems not.
Is there a way I can take a picture of my board and post that with my trend?, ik typically it would not be a possible, however on my board it says sata 1-4 but where #4 sata port is also labeled e-sata meaning to me that it could be either the fourth sata or eSATA depending on the bios setting but the only setting in my BIOS for that is to only enable or disable eSATA nothing about sata number four which is confusing, and when I disabled the eSATA it hid the drive all together instead of turning it into the fourth sata drive like I thought it would do

Aug 12, 2022
Dude u ain't even gonna believe this . As I picked up my phone because I thought I got another response, knocked one of my NOS drive onto the floor during a wipe, :( I hope it's not corrupted or this whole trend is in vain

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The best advice I can give you.

Buy you a single Crucial MX 500 1TB SSD drive (comes with a spacer incase you need it) Load your OS and programs on it and your going to say holey crap, welcome to 2022. About 90 bucks depending on where you live. (you can also load a few of your main games on it just leave about 20% of the drive space unused)

Buy a external HDD enclosure to use for a real backup for one of the HDD.

EDIT the real only advantage a SSD has over a HDD for gaming is load and cut screen times.

I have 0 HDD in my PC now but do use them for backup.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022
The best advice I can give you.

Buy you a single Crucial MX 500 1TB SSD drive (comes with a spacer incase you need it) Load your OS and programs on it and your going to say holey crap, welcome to 2022. About 90 bucks depending on where you live. (you can also load a few of your main games on it just leave about 20% of the drive space unused)

Buy a external HDD enclosure to use for a real backup for one of the HDD.

EDIT the real only advantage a SSD has over a HDD for gaming is load and cut screen times.

I have 0 HDD in my PC now but do use them for backup.
Damn I like that titan, good advice, I was just working on my sister's laptop that she recently had serviced because to her it still wasn't right, come to find out they replaced her HDD with a m.2 adapter with a 500gb m.2, I'm swapping that out with a 1tb NOSware 3.0. I was going to use the m.2 on my CM4-DISP-Base 7a and make my nephew a portable retropie touchscreen tablet though lmfao, what should I do with it?

Aug 12, 2022
Damn I like that titan, good advice, I was just working on my sister's laptop that she recently had serviced because to her it still wasn't right, come to find out they replaced her HDD with a m.2 adapter with a 500gb m.2, I'm swapping that out with a 1tb NOSware 3.0. I was going to use the m.2 on my CM4-DISP-Base 7a and make my nephew a portable retropie touchscreen tablet though lmfao, what should I do with it?
I'm sorry zerk I thought you were titan my apolitical