How to convert a Ethernet RJ45 port to a Wireless one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnk979

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
have an CD/Internet Radio Stereo System that streams Internet Radio. It has a RJ45 Newtork port from which I can connect to my Wireless Router (which also has 4 RJ45 ports) and access the Internet.

I would like something that I can plug into the RJ45 on the stereo system so as to enable it to communicate "wirelessely" with my Wireless Router.

Any suggestion how that can be done ? I don't want to spend a lot of money.....

gnk979

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Yes, I have talked to different folks (Networking folks) and one of them said that a "Ethernet Wireless Bridge" would work, while another suggested a "Wireless Gaming Adapter" and maybe a Wireless Access point.. but the advice was try and see... but I don't want to invest to find out unless I am sure that it is likely to work.

Phoenix1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Any of the three will work. A wireless bridge is really the function that you are looking for. An access point can be set to client mode and act like a wireless bridge. A wireless game adapter is a dumbed down version of a wireless bridge (It will only allow one client on the Ethernet side, instead of multiple clients like a true wireless bridge or AP will)

gnk979

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Thanks - I will try first with a Wireless Game Adapter as I expect this will be the simplest way to do it... Thanks again for the information.

gnk979

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I used a Wireless Ethernet Converter WLI-TX4-G54HP made by Buffallo Technologies and was able to connect the stereo system to it. It works great.

CcAgan

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I used a Wireless Ethernet Converter WLI-TX4-G54HP made by Buffallo Technologies and was able to connect the stereo system to it. It works great.

Yep. Thats the best way to do it.. they used to make a one port to wireless.. now they only make the 4 port to wireless.. darn.. but the cost it a bit more.

hjoab

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Ok, I want the other way: an adapter that can be plugged in a LAN Ethernet router or enter point (a rj45 port) and by bridging to my WiFi card on my notebook get connected to the LAN. It would be very convenient cos in this way I can use may notebook on any client network wireless even if there's no wireless router on the client LAN just by plugging the adapter on any empty rj45 port binded to the LAN.
Can I use the same adapters that you are suggesting here, or I must use another technology?
THANX

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

What you are looking for is a Wireless Access Point.

ageubritoalmeida

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi hjoab.

My name is Almeida, am from Brazil.
I have a issue the very locks like your.

I have an TV only with RJ45 and an router TP-LINK.

I know that your problem has been fixed, but it is possible do you make a flavor?

How do you do this?

Regards.

It's very simple. You just need a wireless ethernet bridge (also known as, gaming adapter).

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[wireless ethernet bridge]<-- wire -->[tv]

I don't know what retail sources you have in Brazil, but there are many makes and model of these devices from Linksys, Netgear, TRENDnet, Asus, etc.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?scriteria=AA97571

The above is just an example.

You configure the bridge to connect to your wireless router as a client, then plug your TV into its ethernet port. The bridge takes care of moving traffic back and forth between wire and wireless.

francnuec

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hello,

I'm Franc.
I would like to know if the devices mentioned here are plug and play devices. I just want a device that can be plugged directly into an ethernet port to make act like a wifi or just a wireless device.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks.

aloy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hi just found a device quite cool called the Netgear WNCE2001 ethernet wireless adaptor card, has anyone try that before ?

ashlyjose

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hi,

I have something related but different issue.

I have a wireless router for which I can connect the phone line and use it as a wireless router to access internet.

Now my problem is, I'm having internet connection through a Ethernet cable. Is there a way or a converter available to convert from Ethernet cable to Phone cable so I can still use the router?

Please help.

Thanks,
-ash

summeril

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Quatech Airborne ABDG-ET-DP501 is something I found. I wish it was small enough to be in the Ethernet plug itself!

Str8Nar0

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

St8Nar0
I don't see a date that this was posted so I may be way off center as far as timing goes, but I recently purchased some devices by Netgear, Model-WNCE2001. Universal Wireless Internet Adapter for TV and Blu-ray. It's a small wireless device with an RJ45 plug on a cable about a foot long and it comes with a power adapter as well as a short USB cable for power. Either one can be used. It will turn almost any device with an ethernet port into a wireless device. Simple to configure and use. WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, and WEP Security capable. IEEE 802.11n v.2.0. I configured one of these on a laptop, disconnected it and plugged into a Thin Client that is not wireless capable and it worked! I haven't tried yet, but I want to see if it will make a network switch wireless.
I also discovered anotherl relatively cool product by EDUP Unusual. Model EP-N8508 NANO-USB Wireless Network Card. IEEE802.11n. WEP, WPA, TKIP, AES Encryption. The only drawback I've seen in it so far is it's made in China and when I ordered mine, they weren't even being sold in the US anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.