How to convert a HP Officejet 6500A printer to only a scanner

avz10

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I have an HP Officejet 6500A (4 in 1 Printer/Fax/Scanner/Copier). Only the scanner has been working for the past few years and this is what I use the machine for. Error messages regarding the other problems would be displayed, but I was still able to scan.

Recently, it has become extremely difficult to scan. When I press the scan icon, a fault message of another error appears very fast. I sometimes manage to clear these messages and I’m then able to scan, but this is frustrating and difficult.

I have tried soft/hard and partial resets, with no success. (In the past I connected the scanner directly to the PC, but lately, the PC does not recognize the scanner so I used an SD card to save scanned images on.

Would it be possible to either:

• uninstall the software on the machine and then re-install only the scan function or
    would a factory reset help?
Or any other suggestions?

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with and second Paul NZ.

Your situation is one of those where the efforts to salvage or otherwise continue use of the old OfficeJet are not longer truly worthwhile.

Get a new printer/scanner.

Let the kids or someone else take the old one apart for fun and/or recycle what is left.

Maybe some hobbyist that you know could use "robot parts".

avz10

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Thank you for responding. I have a laser printer and therefore do not require another printer. I do not use a scanner too often at home and have one at work. Although I sometimes use a scanner at home, buying a new one will not make economic sense. It just seems a pity to dump something like this

Latest posts