How to convert my external SSD into an internal drive to hold my OS

zaakat

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Hello everyone, I have an ADATA SV620 external solid state drive that I want to use as internal for my OS and a few programs. So far the only way to do this I can think of is just connecting it to an internal usb3 port but it seems quite half assed. Could you please give me some input to do this? Thank you!

Solution
If you want to use the SSD as an internally-connected drive in your system you would obviously have to remove the drive from its enclosure and then connect it to your motherboard like any other SSD. I assume you know that, so what's the question? How to remove the SSD from its enclosure? What?
If you want to use the SSD as an internally-connected drive in your system you would obviously have to remove the drive from its enclosure and then connect it to your motherboard like any other SSD. I assume you know that, so what's the question? How to remove the SSD from its enclosure? What?

Solution

zaakat

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

Thank you, I didn't know I could dissasemble it. So I guess I just need to buy a SATA cable and setup the mobo to get my SSD as the default drive. Thanks!

Well, I trust you can uninstall the drive from its enclosure without causing any damage. It's not always possible since the manufacturer has manufactured the device in such a way that prevents a simple removal of the drive from within the enclosure. And to make matters worse, sometimes the drive itself contains proprietary (non-standard) SATA data connectors that prevent the user from installing the drive internally in his/her system. Hopefully you won't run into these problems.

The above potential problem is one reason (and there are other important reasons as well) why we ALWAYS recommend a user to purchase a separate USB external enclosure and a HDD (or SSD) of his choice, rather than these commercial "one-piece" units. Invariably you gain better performance and the flexibility of using an UNLIMITED amount of external drives for whatever purposes the user desires.

Reactions: zaakat